Shooting at night and when to use a flash

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by padrepaul77, Sep 3, 2009.

1. padrepaul77

padrepaul77 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    One of my favorite things to shoot are night shots of the city, or at places like below, the State Fair. I haven't used a flash much at night, preferring a longer shutter speed. I toyed with the lighting settings on my camera, going with a higher flourescent setting and setting it into manual mode.

ISO was at 200 on Sweet Marhta's with the flash; 1/60 exposure; f 3.5
    250 on the Malt Shop; f 5.6; 1/13 of a second exposure; max ap of 3.61
    Hot Dog Stand with the flash it's ISO 200, f 3.5, 1/60 exposure time
    Cotton Candy Stand: ISO 250, f 5.6, 1/30 sec. exposure.

There is some shadowing on the ice cream cone on the malt shop. Other than that, I've found that not using a flash is better to just capture some nice signs in neon...but having ordered the flash for the bag, when would I want to use it when shooting at night? Just when trying to illuminate people? I'm more apt to want a silhouete against a sign rather than people lit up. As you can see in Sweet Marthas, the on-board flash isn't adequate for that in such a large crowd. Fine for up close though. My fav is the Cotton Candy Stand; pretty good color on that one. I'm also still experimenting with the light settings.

I also ordered the 9-18mm lens from Olympus; 100 rebate right now. I love street shots, and think it'll help.

Any advice for this SLR noob will help!

Merci mille fois,
    Paul

Attached Files:

2. shortpballer

shortpballer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the Cotton Candy Stand...The 9mm will put things in a completely different perspective. It will distort the .... of things. However I love the way distorted images look :)

3. HeY iTs ScOTtY

HeY iTs ScOTtY TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the malt stand looks like a hard picture to shoot. it has many different shades of light in the windows and signs.

4. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Well, for example, if you were shooting a photo with a person in the foreground as your main focus, but wanted the background to still show through (common is a night portrait with a nice bright cityscape behind them), then you would use a longer shutter and a rear-sync curtain.
    The shutter opens and captures the light, then before the shutter closes it fires the flash.