Shooting first Socer match today

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by blatalllic, Jun 13, 2007.

1. blatalllic

blatalllic TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Tonight Im going to be taking my camera to a soccer match. First goal well be getting in with my Camera.....

Camera I'll be using is a Olympus E-500 with its 150mm lense...

What setting do you guys recommend as a starting point....

Also, should I shoot in Jpeg or Raw, Raw I only hold like 150 pics, Jpeg is easily double that....

2. astrostu

astrostu Guest

I would've suggested RAW, but if you think storage will be an issue, then go JPG. My understanding for sports photography is that you do a lot of shots and delete many of them.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Also, most cameras have a much longer burst rate while shooting in JPEG than RAW.

I still think shooting in RAW is the best way to go for top quality images though.

4. lockwood81

lockwood81 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm thinking about getting an Olympus E-500...how do you like yours? I am truly a beginner and I'm looking forward to taking photos as a hobby.

5. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Be sure to shoot with both eyes open.

mike

6. blatalllic

blatalllic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Mike, yes I love raw shooting, allows me to detail shots using Phase one....

Lock - this is my first actual DSLR camera and I love it...I've taken some awesome shots with it, so I think at least....It came with two lenses and that convinced me to buy this camera....Its a nice stepping stone to greater and better cameras out there....

Mike E - thanks I'll try...Im in the first section on the side line so I'll be close to the action....Its two matches tonight so I'll have lots of fun...Thats if I can get in with the camera first LOL...

Should I raise my ISO...I usually shoot at 100...but its going to be night time and well Im not sure how well it'll be lit for photography...Lower my f's and try to have the shutter as fast I can set it, correct??

7. bbrooks

bbrooks TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I shoot daytime soccer games so I might not be much help. Yes, set your ISO higher, and shoot in continuous mode, meaning crank off about 3-7 shots, depending on your camera's frames per second. Mine has 3 fps, but because I had the ISO at 100, I missed alot of crucial shots in certain sequences, even in the bright sunlight. I tried the continuous autofocus mode but didn't like it. I switched to single autofocus and seem to get more usuable shots that way. Also, you might try center-weighted metering versus a broader setting. Good thing about digital cameras is that you can change the settings at will. Good luck and keep us posted!

8. blatalllic

blatalllic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Brooks, wish I would of read your post yesterday!!!

Got in with camera, I tried shooting in sports, A, and S mode...

Got better shots in S mode, ISO at 400...AF was on...maybe i should of done that manually....well here are some of the pics...This is very difficult...I def need practice...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. smyth

smyth TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Number two is great IMO. The others would have been decent in sunlight, so don't blame yourself here. Night sports photography is tough, and expensive, because you'll need fast lenses (f2.8 or faster)

10. bbrooks

bbrooks TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't beat yourself up over the pics. Night time shots are difficult, not to mention that you were trying to get shots of a very fast paced sport! Try my suggestions next time and let us know. Of course, all it takes is alot of $ for a very fast lens!
    Again, good job!

11. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    That is some excellent advice, and something that a lot of people never learn about shooting sports.

12. blatalllic

blatalllic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit