Shooting In Manual - What A Pleasure!

Alan Ellis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jackieandalan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After reading Peterson's book, I began to experiment using totally Manual. I can't believe how easy using Manual is! By using the meter and adjusting the shutter speed or aperture to get the right exposure, my shots have greatly improved.

Buy the Peterson book, "Understanding Exposure". This book dumbs it down for us noobs and opens a whole new world in shooting photos. But boiled down, Peterson says: Put it in Manual, set your ISO, then either adjust your shutter speed or aperture until the correct exposure is indicated on your meter. Or...you can over-expose or under-expose for more creativity or for certain lighting situations.

I still have much to learn, but this has really helped me make the jump from a point-and-shooter to an beginning SLR photographer. Have fun with Manual!

thanx for the info. I have heard about this book, is it online or in a book store?

Alan, I feel the same way! I just read the book myself. I had taken 2 photography classes in the past...one in highschool and one in college. I have to say though that I never learned a thing. It was always so confusing and so that's why I was put off from taking photography up seriously. I don't know if it was me or what, but I finally feel I know HOW to take great looking pics. It's no longer a mystery. That book was awesome. It was like someone suddently drew open the blinds. I can't rave about it enough. Yes, get the book....exposure made easy. Now that I know how to get a correct exposure, I want to start experimenting with lighting...as in indoor studio portraiture. I'm excited about that....but it's a whole other monster to tackle.

Alan, do you have any pics to share yet? I've only had my camera for 3 weeks, but i'm already getting some great looking results. I'll see if I post them up here later.

-Jose Saenz

Both. I got mine at Borders, but Amazon has it too.

I haven't read it yet - I need to get my hands on it! I have found two titles by the same name, same author, but one is Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera and the other is Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs. Are these just different editions? I plan to order it online, but I don't want to get the wrong one!

Thanks!

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/search?keywords=Understanding%20Exposure&pageSize=10

I also read the book, but I only got it for a few days, so I had to do a bit of quick skimming. Could someone tell me how to adjust your shutter speed and aperture? And how do you know when a correct exposure is indicated. I use a Nikon D80 btw. Please and thank you.

I also read the book, but I only got it for a few days, so I had to do a bit of quick skimming. Could someone tell me how to adjust your shutter speed and aperture? And how do you know when a correct exposure is indicated. I use a Nikon D80 btw. Please and thank you.

Brett, there really is no easy way to quickly and easily reproduce your D80 manual here. You DO need to spend some time reading the manual and becoming familiar with the myriad of options in the menus and all those funny little buttons on the top of the camera.

If you do become familiar with all of the ins and outs of the camera you will have a much deeper peace when you look at the camera. Ever looked at the top of the camera and then let your eyes hurried slip away from the letters/numbers/symbols you didn't understand because they made you feel uncomfortably like perhaps you weren't using the camera correctly? Trust me the manual is not difficult to read, is easy to understand and really has some great photo taking tips in it. Give yourself two solid hours. Sit down with it and read e.v.e.r.y w.o.r.d. :)

You will thank yourself. And answer your question. :)

Could someone tell me how to adjust your shutter speed and aperture? And how do you know when a correct exposure is indicated. I use a Nikon D80 btw.

I'm not exactly sure about a Nikon, but most DSLRs use a wheel next to the shutter button to adjust the shutter and aperture. On my camera, to get the correct exposure, I look through the viewfinder with the camera set on "manual." I then turn the wheel (adjusting either the aperture or shutter speed) until the meter is on zero, then fire away. However, you'll need to read your included user manual to find out exactly how to do it with a Nikon.

Also, I bought another book to supplement my Sony user manual. It is a detailed guide on my specific camera by a company called "Magic Lantern Guides". They have the guidebooks for all brands of cameras and it basically goes beyond the user manual in describing in detail how to use your specific camera. A great resource to learn a new camera: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Magic-Lantern-Guides/Simon-Stafford/e/9781600591129/?itm=1

Ok thanks for the feedback. The jog wheel next to the shutter buttom adjusted the aperture. I couldn't get the meter down to zero. I scrolled through f-stops 4.2 through 29 and the meter is still lit up on the ride side, heading towards the negative symbol. I guess I just have to give in and sacrifice hours to read the manual.

I find myself using the minolta x-9 manual camera more then anything else I have. It's basically just a manual camera with a meter built in.

I agree with how it can help you stop, take a look and get more involved in the photograph.:thumbup:

Once you go manual, you never go back :)

Anytime I have to shoot anything on automatic, it doesn't feel like photography.
Whenever someone asks me to take their picture and hands me their camera I have to fight the urge to flip it to manual.

Your photos are definitely going to improve.

Alan, do you have any pics to share yet?

Jose, I'm working on getting some pics up. I'm not sure if I'm quite ready to post any, thinking that they may not be good enough. We're headed to Colorado next weekend for some mountain climbing and I hope to get some good shots then.

In manual, when there is "correct exposure", the bar in ruler from viewfinder will be centered - this is way Canon works.

If you move the two wheels, the bar will move left/right indicating under/over exposure.

Ok thanks for the feedback. The jog wheel next to the shutter buttom adjusted the aperture. I couldn't get the meter down to zero. I scrolled through f-stops 4.2 through 29 and the meter is still lit up on the ride side, heading towards the negative symbol. I guess I just have to give in and sacrifice hours to read the manual.

Again, I'm not sure how a Nikon works, but with most cameras the jog wheel can adjust both the aperture AND the shutter speed. There's probably a button or procedure for switching your jog wheel to "shutter speed" adjustment. Your meter should zero with shutter speed adjustment. Check your ISO also.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back