Shooting Modes

cardonalj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Quick question. When you guys go out and shoot, do you shoot solely in one of the modes? I've heard from different people that they use Aperture Priority solely, or Exposure Priority solely. I'm just asking because I tend to findmyself shooting in Manual which forces me to learn how the two go hand in hand. My question is, does anyone shoot solely in Manual or do you use AV or TV?

For me, it depends on what, where and how I'm shooting.

I'll often shoot in Av mode when I'm shooting different things in different light etc. If I'm shooting something in fairly constant light, or if I'm taking my time and/or experimenting...then I'll usually shoot in manual. When using flash, I'm usually in manual as well.

Really, there is not difference between a shot taken a F8, 1/125 & ISO 100 in manual mode or any of the auto modes. The shooting modes are just different ways to get to the same location.

I shoot in the mode that will let me get the shot at the time of shooting.
Be that manual, aperture priority, shutter priority or another mode..

Myself I have observed that those who shoot studio, landscape, archetecture and other slow or static subjects tend to favour manual mode over the more auto modes. They are not pushed against the clock to get the right settings, nor are they in a situation where they cannot change if they choose to. Studio shooters are often in full control of the shooting and lighting, so full camera control often goes with them as well.
Further use of flash for shooting (say in macro work) also forces people to shoot more full manual mode shots.

I also observe that those who shoot sports, wildlife, kids and other fast moving subjects tend to favour the more auto modes (aperture or shutter depending if depth of field or shutter speed are the important part of a shot). Then they don't have time to change settings and thelighting can change in moments (animal runs from shade to open ground in full sunlight) and thus its much easier for them to have the camera change the settings for them - the camera is quicker and can detect light changings more acuratly.

In the end there is no mode you have to shoot in - just use the modes that you find get you the best result in each different situation (experience and practice helps lots)

I shoot mostly in aperture priority mode, as I feel controlling the aperture is the most relevant to what I want to accomplish. I just choose an aperture and forget about it.

If I'm shooting sports and the camera is not giving me a fast enough shutter speed at a given aperture, I just up the ISO until it's where I want it. Or I open the aperture a bit. But generally when I choose an aperture I want it left at that aperture.

Once in a while I shoot in manual mode when I don't want the camera messing around with my settings, or when I'm not shooting any action.

Shoot in whatever mode you feel most comfortable with. Although if you're shooting any type of action, it will probably be much easier to simply use one of the semi-auto modes (aperture or shutter priority). That way you're not constantly adjusting settings to compensate for any changing light.

like its been said, depends on what you're shooting.

I'd way 88% its M, if Im shooting races then its S, and if I'm trying to take quick random shots its usually A... I never use auto.

As others have stated, it depends on what I am shooting. As I am still learning the art, I try and stick to Manual as much as I can.

I have found that when shooting sessions where I don't have the time to think too much about my settings, I'll shoot in Aperture (party, concert) or in Shutter Priority mode (sports).

I tend to avoid using shutter priority mode because I feel that aperture priority mode is a better option. For example, when shooting sports, you probably want to use the fastest shutter speed you can...but if you set a speed of 1/500 for example (it might give you an aperture of F2.8, which might be your max aperture). Now if the light changes and gets dimmer...and you are in shutter priority, it will either underexpose the shot or just flash at you and not take the shot at all (or adjust the ISO if you have an auto ISO option).
Also, if it gets brighter, the aperture might go down to F5.6...but you probably aren't concerned with the DOF, and could be using a much faster shutter speed but you are missing out.

However, if you are in Aperture priority mode, you can just set the biggest aperture and know that you will get the fasted shutter speed for the light light (and ISO) that you can.

The point is that the shutter speed has a lot more range (maybe bulb to 1/8000) than the aperture (maybe F2.8-F29)...so it makes sense to avoid running into a limitation of the aperture.

I shoot in Aperture 95% of the time, Manual 4% of the time, and rarely Shutter. I never touch P or Auto because they take away too much control.

I would tend to agree with you Mike, but on dimmer days my experieneces are that sometimes even exposure compensation in aperture priority cannot get shutter speed fast enough for ones needs with action or wildlife - in those cases I think it better to move into shutter priority to fix the shutter speed. One might be able to save an underexposed shot (if not fullsize at least for a websized image) but blur from the subject can't be fixed *unless one is an artist and willing to spend that many hours/days fixing it ;))

I would tend to agree with you Mike, but on dimmer days my experieneces are that sometimes even exposure compensation in aperture priority cannot get shutter speed fast enough for ones needs with action or wildlife - in those cases I think it better to move into shutter priority to fix the shutter speed. One might be able to save an underexposed shot (if not fullsize at least for a websized image) but blur from the subject can't be fixed *unless one is an artist and willing to spend that many hours/days fixing it )
Yes, underexposed is better than blurry. With my method, I do need to keep an eye on the shutter speed and be quick with the ISO control.

I'm always in Manual. I like the challenge. However, now that I have some paying shoots lined up, I may use Av to stay on the safe side. haha.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back