Shooting on aperture priority mode while using flash light

k.udhay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

Is shooting on aperture priority mode possible when we have the subject lit through flash light? When I change aperture value, won't I be in need to adjust the flash power to maintain constant exposure? How do I quickly do that in an event as wedding? Any tips pl.?

Thanks.

More info is needed for a definitive answer. Do you own and use a High Speed Sync capable camera and flash?

Generally, using Av mode + flash is not done by many people. The shitter speed could easily be too slow for bright backdrops unless your flash is set to High Speed Synch mode.

"Some" cameras will only go up to the top X-sync speed when a simple flash is on the camera and turned on.

Again--more info needed, specific camera/flash info I mean.

Keep in mind: Nikon has a FLASH-unit mode where you can set the FLASH to say, f/7.1, and it will take command, but this is an expensive flash, not a Yongnuo manual flash, for example.

Hi,

Is shooting on aperture priority mode possible when we have the subject lit through flash light? When I change aperture value, won't I be in need to adjust the flash power to maintain constant exposure? How do I quickly do that in an event as wedding? Any tips pl.?

Thanks.
Yes, if the amount of light changes then the exposure has to change to compensate.
But without specific examples (can you provide photo examples) we're just guessing.

As mentioned, your flash brand and it's total "compatibility" will have a lot to do with this problem/solution.

More info is needed for a definitive answer. Do you own and use a High Speed Sync capable camera and flash?

Generally, using Av mode + flash is not done by many people. The shitter speed could easily be too slow for bright backdrops unless your flash is set to High Speed Synch mode.

"Some" cameras will only go up to the top X-sync speed when a simple flash is on the camera and turned on.

Again--more info needed, specific camera/flash info I mean.

Keep in mind: Nikon has a FLASH-unit mode where you can set the FLASH to say, f/7.1, and it will take command, but this is an expensive flash, not a Yongnuo manual flash, for example.

Camera - Canon 5D mark iii
Flash(es) - Elinchrome FEX 400 kit
(2 lights, each with a 25" x 25" soft box - Off axis main and On axis fill)

The combination does not have high speed synch. No TTL too as far as I know.

With powerful, studio-type flashes, you can just set an f/stop, like say f/7.1, and light the general area with two flashes aimed up on the ceiling/corner juncture areas, and get "reasonable" flash exposures in the f/5.6 to f/10 area, depending on how big the area is, and where the people are within the whole area lighted by the flash.

One, 400 Watt-second Speedotron studiuo flash (which many Made in CHina companies would call a "1200" flash unit, seriously) and an 11.5 inch metal reflector aimed at a ceiling/corner area from 5 feet on a 13-goot tall; stand can light up a large room area, at from f/10 close-in, to f/5.6 at the periphery, at ISO 100. Meaning at ISO 200, you could get f/8 at the periphery; at ISO 400 you could gain another stop, and have f/11 at the periphery.

You learn how to "feel" the light from the flasp POP! You make a simple, educated estimation, shoot the shot, and then in that area you go, "oh, this is the brightest, best-lighted area, needs f/10 at ISO 100; a few feet farther way, you need f/8; a bit farther away, f/5.6--OR, you elevate the ISO to compensate for the difference in flash brightness.

If you have TWO flashes, you can light-up a larger area, and/or get more-even illumination from studio-flash units.

Use an umbrella if you would like to, and fire it off of the wall/ceiling junture area, and it can light-up a LOT of the room.

There is not a lot of need for TTL. SHUTTER speed is NOT important!!!!! These are going to be FLASH-lit pictures...set the shutter to 1/125 and LEAVE it there.

Thanks Derrel. I think I should experiment to understand all you have explained.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back