Shooting RAW

Ripnowell45

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok I did a search on this and didnt really come up with much...

Why does everyone shoot in RAW? Is there much of a difference than shooting JPEG. Sorry if this is a stupid question

with RAW, once you put the pictures on the PC, you can change the exposure, the white balance, as well as a number of other parameters that you can't with jpeg. I never shoot anything but RAW.

wow, ok. So once loaded onto the PC you can use photoshop or some other program to make the adjustments? I can see why it would be advantageous, that really allows some flexibility.

When shooting in raw, the whole image is recorded. In jpeg, it is a compressed file, so some information that your camera's processer deems not really important is purged. Any adjustments such as exposure and/or white balance is easier to adjust in raw. Raw also is a lossless format. So you can go back to the raw image like reprinting a negative over and over without degrading the file.

Shoot in RAW (It records just what the camera sees. ) Save the RAW file. Load it into your manipulation software alter it as you like and save it as a TIFF . KEEPING the original RAW file in case you wish to start again. TIFF is lossless (Nearly) and RAW is totally untreated. when you process an image some of the data is altered or lost. which is why you keep the original RAW. these files are lage and unweildy, so often for convienience people use JPEG which is much smaller. Obviously though you can't hold as much data (Detail) in a small file as you can in a much larger one...

RAW is the raw data from the sensor in the camera. A JPEG is compressed file that processes the data removing some of the data along the way. In other words, it is a lossy type of file. Those who want just what the sensor recorded without any processing can have it by importing the RAW image directly. That way they can process it as they wish rather than as the firmware in the camera wishes. It's just that simple.

RAW also records a much wider color gamut...(many many more different colors).

I shoot Jpeg simply for the simplicity. I dont need to convert the files before editing them, and they are much smaller which in turn means they store better and load faster. Now, if i am having trouble getting a good white balance or exposure levels (some parts are way too dark or too light) I'll switch over to RAW so that I can put some post processing time into them. Also anything that I deem as a "once in a lifetime" shot I'll shoot RAW if I have time to switch (mine is located in the menu).

In the film days we got whatever the film recorded. We could select from many types of film but what we got was what we got. RAW is the same thing to me and it ensures that have maximum flexibility in the use of the image. I use it for everything except for the small product shots I make commercially every day for my web sites. Since those are for the web only it is fine to shoot in the lowest resolution option the camera has. It saves time. Since they will end up as small 72ppi JPEGS on the website, image quality isn't really an issue.

My camera has the option to record RAW and JPEG at the same time. that is the option I use for my personal photography. The JPEG lets me view the shots right after I shoot them and allows me review them and cull shots that I don't want right in the camera. In my camera, you can't view RAW images on the LCD.

The RAW files go into the computer for storage and processing and the JPEGS are deleted along with everything else when I erase the memory card.

Shooting Raw+ JPEG seems to be like a big advantage opposed to one or the other.... am I wrong in assuming this?

Thanks alot guys you really answered my question quite well. I will continue to shoot in RAW

Most reactions

New Topics

Back