shooting tethered..

proberok

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Any one know of a good heavy duty colored usb cable? I'm starting to shoot more in my apt and I love shooting straight into my computer, however my cable isn't long enough to walk around. Any suggestions?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Does it have to be colored?

For astrophotography we have some members that use these extension cables: http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Meter-Active-Extension-Female/dp/B004AGX4YO/

It's just a USB extension... you plug it into your computer and you get 16' (or they have a 32' version), but you still plug in your normal camera cable on the far end. The cable itself consumes some of the USB power because it acts as a repeater -- but that doesn't matter to the camera because it only uses the data pins (the camera doesn't use the USB power pins.)

Some of our astro-imagers will put their laptop on a table and connect to the telescope which might be 10-15' away so they can remotely control the capture session throughout the night.

I don't know of a non-powered long USB cable -- and suspect it wouldn't work. There are limits as to how far you can push data over a long cable before you start running into trouble (which is why these long cables I linked are actually powered repeaters.)

The OTHER option is to use a CamRanger CamRanger | Wireless DSLR Remote Control | iPad Mac Android PC

The CamRanger supports remote tethered shooting (through it's own app) and does this over WiFi or Ethernet cable (so length really is a non-issue when you get to that point.)

Does it have to be colored?

For astrophotography we have some members that use these extension cables: http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Meter-Active-Extension-Female/dp/B004AGX4YO/

It's just a USB extension... you plug it into your computer and you get 16' (or they have a 32' version), but you still plug in your normal camera cable on the far end. The cable itself consumes some of the USB power because it acts as a repeater -- but that doesn't matter to the camera because it only uses the data pins (the camera doesn't use the USB power pins.)

Some of our astro-imagers will put their laptop on a table and connect to the telescope which might be 10-15' away so they can remotely control the capture session throughout the night.

I don't know of a non-powered long USB cable -- and suspect it wouldn't work. There are limits as to how far you can push data over a long cable before you start running into trouble (which is why these long cables I linked are actually powered repeaters.)

The OTHER option is to use a CamRanger CamRanger | Wireless DSLR Remote Control | iPad Mac Android PC

The CamRanger supports remote tethered shooting (through it's own app) and does this over WiFi or Ethernet cable (so length really is a non-issue when you get to that point.)

The OP said he is shooting tethered in an apartment so I doubt he is shooting far enough away to need a cable with a repeater.

With that said the OP sould tell us how long of a cable he is needing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back