Shooting the moon.

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
All of your moon shots have captivated me. So, I was wonderng. How do you do it? I cant imagine that you use a regular type of camera lens. But this is why I ask, I do not know. I would like to eventually do this so any and all help will be appreciated. If you could include an example shot, it would be great and include what you used to take the picture in terms of camera and lens and the settings would be great too.

Thanks in advance.
Mark

M-combo-100k.jpg

8" reflector scope, f6(1200mm), istDS, iso 400, 1/90 sec.

Thanks for recommending my Guide, ATXshots. :)

I actually JUST posted an update to it, version 2.0, that includes an example histogram.

Greyhoundman, if you use a reflector scope (im guessing thats some type of telescope?), dont you have a black circle around the image because the eyepiece isnt as large in diameter as the lens you shot with?

Mark

No lens is used. The camera is connected directly to the focuser.
It is like using a huge mirror lens.
This is the scope I built and uase for my photos.
hound-scope-2.jpg

No lens is used. The camera is connected directly to the focuser.
It is like using a huge mirror lens.
This is the scope I built and uase for my photos.
hound-scope-2.jpg

Nice Dobsonian, Been thinking of picking up a 12 inch for sale locally, I know it's not very portable but we live on 200 acres in the country and building a observatory might be feasable

20081217_b22a468f9d77c544710bcd3hyRQx9EOG.jpg.thumb.jpg

it's my works, but my camera
rLens is 70-300 mm, o the greatest distance of the moon also is the only way to see it.

english is poor,sorry~maybe i can't express my meaning:lol:

Last edited:
When you say that you attatch it to the scope, how do you do so? Do you just put the camera on a tripod and push it flush against the end of the scope? This is confusing me :lol:

Mark

The inside diameter of my focuser is 2". So I made an adapter to connect the camera to the focuser. It is made from a T mount and a piece of 2" aluminum tube.
These can be bought. But I rarely do that. :)
snout-1.jpg

And here is the camera mounted on the focuser ready to shoot.
C-S.jpg

So, you're saying that it is a 1200mm equivalent. Could the same effect be had by buying a long mirror lens like you said? For example, buying either the Rokinon 800mm F/8 lens (with possibility of a 1.4/2x TC attatched), the Phoenix 1000mm F/8 lens, or the Opteka 500mm HD F/8 lens (also with the possibility of a 1.4/2x TC attatched)?

Mark

Yes you can, there are also a couple of 100/1200mm reflex lenses around. They all tend to lack a little contrast but are generally quite cheap. One of the older russion makes was really quite good. There is a forum www.mflenses.com or something similar that has loads of good info and possibly some reviews.

@ greyhound man, serious bit of kit you have created there, well done in deed. Can one just obtain that kind of mirror? and have you thought of making a bigger one?

tim

Most reactions

Back