Should I be charging a model/actress/singer?

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I met a model/actress in the fashion show. For some reason, she interests in me to photo shoots with her daughter. I'm not sure why she chooses me. Anyway, should I be charging her?

If she asked you, it seems to me that you should talk money, unless you want to shoot it for free.

Well, I don't have a professional gear, and I don't have enough experience doing portrait shooting. I have been shooting others than portraiture. And, what if the photos turn out to be craps.

I'm a bit nervous doing portraiture with her daughter especially a mom who is a professional model/actress. There were bunch of media photographers with their high-end dslr and high-end lighting equipment. She could have picked them. For me, I was just a guest or spectator just to shoot the fashion show.

Well, alright then, here's what you do: Ask the mother for her expert advice. Seriously. Especially about the lighting and posing. She should know that stuff. Given your lack of confidence, I guess you will shoot this one for free and consider it your portfolio builder. Plan on spending some time at this. If you get anywhere near 10% keepers, you are doing fantastic.

Well, alright then, here's what you do: Ask the mother for her expert advice. Seriously. Especially about the lighting and posing. She should know that stuff. Given your lack of confidence, I guess you will shoot this one for free and consider it your portfolio builder. Plan on spending some time at this. If you get anywhere near 10% keepers, you are doing fantastic.

Got it.:thumbyo:

I guess I was a bit overreacted. :biggrin-93: I did meet a professional fashion designer who wants me as an exclusive photographer to attend her own fashion show with her clothing lineup in spring.

I always charged, that was the only way I could get better gear and in return get better shots (in theory).

Kind of like the saying, look good, feel good.

Well, I don't have a professional gear, and I don't have enough experience doing portrait shooting. I have been shooting others than portraiture. And, what if the photos turn out to be craps.
Stop doubting yourself. She thought your work is good enough to have contacted you for some pictures. Charge a low rate and shoot.

Don't be unconfident in your skills...in any professional realm this is what will keep you away from keeping/ saving your money.

Last edited:
Stop doubting yourself. She thought your work is good enough to have contacted you for some pictures. Charge a low rate and shoot.

Don't be unconfident in your skills...in any professional realm this is what will keep you away from keeping/ saving your money.

Yeah, you got a good point. If she likes the way I shoot, I'm sure she doesn't mind paying a low fee. If she doesn't like the photos, oh well, it is just a good practice.

Well I guess first off, do you want to go in business? if business of photography is not in your future then just do the photos for experience.

Reality is with models they will know possibly 100's of photographers if they are experienced and been working for a bit. Most models know enough photographers to not have to pay for a shoot ever. Only models I know who pay a photographer ares ones the will go to a high end photographer that they really want to work with. I personally would just say, I'll shoot you and your daughter for the cost of a model shoot down the line, this way you get a model to shoot with and the shoot with her and her kid, do a good job and you will start networking and meet more. Models are great to work with because You always need to keep practicing and it puts you with a nevernding supply of people to shoot.

Well I guess first off, do you want to go in business? if business of photography is not in your future then just do the photos for experience.

Reality is with models they will know possibly 100's of photographers if they are experienced and been working for a bit. Most models know enough photographers to not have to pay for a shoot ever. Only models I know who pay a photographer ares ones the will go to a high end photographer that they really want to work with. I personally would just say, I'll shoot you and your daughter for the cost of a model shoot down the line, this way you get a model to shoot with and the shoot with her and her kid, do a good job and you will start networking and meet more. Models are great to work with because You always need to keep practicing and it puts you with a nevernding supply of people to shoot.

She told me she networks with other photographers. That musts be my good opportunity to network with these people.:thumbyo:

Last edited:
There's a good chance she expects to get paid. She may well have pegged you as an amateur willing to pay for a good model, and doesn't care of you're any good.

Working models don't pay the photographer. Either the client pays both the photographer and the model, or the photographer pays the model. The only time money goes the other way is when the model is very very new and probably both naive and unskilled.

There are exceptions, of course. Far more common are GWACs who lie about hour the models actually pay THEM.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back