Should I bring the tripod?

TJ K

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so i'm going hiking in kentucky and north carolina and will not just be doing like regular trails we go off on our own climb up sides of waterfalls around cliffs, etc.. and i was wondering if I should bring a tripod in a situation like that i don't think i should and that will be where most of the pictures will come from so should i just pass on bringing the tripod? thanks

if you have an easy way to carry it, why not take it... just in case.

but if it is a pain to carry it, then i would probably agree with you that you probably wouldn't need it.

Well i want those longer shutter water pictures but am not sure that if i get the pod wet if it will rust/corrode and be ruined not suree if anyone has experience with this.

Aluminum/carbon fiber don't rust so if you have a decent tripod, I wouldn't worry about it. If it is $25.00 Wally-World thing who knows.

Aluminum/carbon fiber don't rust so if you have a decent tripod, I wouldn't worry about it. If it is $25.00 Wally-World thing who knows.

Aluminum won't rust, but it will still corrode. I don't think that will be an issue though. Just use some common sense and it will be fine.
(Rust is iron oxide - corrosion on ferrous metals. All metals corrode, given the right environment.)

If it's a Wally-World Special - who cares what happens to it. Abuse the hell out of it, then replace it when you get home.

I would bring one - it sounds like there will be tons of oppurtunities to use it.

Well i want those longer shutter water pictures but am not sure that if i get the pod wet if it will rust/corrode and be ruined not suree if anyone has experience with this.

dont forget your ND filter :D

It's a manfrotto 190xprob so it should be good to go it sounds like.

It's a manfrotto 190xprob so it should be good to go it sounds like.

I wouldn't worry about it.

If you set it up in the water, remove the rubber feet afterwards so the water can drain. Other than that, you shouldn't have too many problems.

Corrosion is the last thing I would be thinking about. Fresh water isn't likely to cause too many problems - just dry it when you're done.

If you're going to be getting salt water on it, rinse it in fresh water, then dry it.

Ya it's definitely going to be an adventure hiking waterfalls and swimming through rivers all while trying to keep it above water i hope as long as i hold my lowepro above the water with that weather thing on i should be good

Personally, I wouldn't take any special precautions for the tripod (trying to keep it above water the whole time).

Protect your camera from the water, yes. But the tripod is a tool. It can handle a little water.

Abuse it. It will come away working just like the day you bought it.
Then, you'll be able to tell everyone all the crap you put it through, and it never skipped a beat.

I mean, really - there's not much that can go wrong on a tripod.

I treat mine like a tool. I don't baby it. It has a few scratches, but that's just cosmetic. It still works as good as new.

Take your tripod, don't worry about dinging it up, get some killer shots, then post them here.

Aluminum won't rust, but it will still corrode. I don't think that will be an issue though. Just use some common sense and it will be fine.
(Rust is iron oxide - corrosion on ferrous metals. All metals corrode, given the right environment.)

If it's a Wally-World Special - who cares what happens to it. Abuse the hell out of it, then replace it when you get home.

I would bring one - it sounds like there will be tons of oppurtunities to use it.

Aluminum, in fresh water such as in the hills or mountains of Kentucky or North Carolina is not susceptible to corrosion with out a catalyst, especially for short term exposure. Saltwater on the other hand will cause corrosion, and do so in short order.

If used in any water, I would suggest a quick cleaning and drying after use, to get rid of and particulate that was in the water such as silt, sand etc.

Ok sounds great and quick kind of off topic question. When i take pictures of the landscapes should i use a smaller aperture or will the pics become too soft? what would be better f/10 or like f/22? Thanks for all the quick replies everyone!

I would use f/8-f/12 as that is the sweet-spot for most lenses. At f/22 you will also see every particle of dust and debris on your sensor :p.

Does your camera have a DOF preview button? The only trouble is as the aperture gets smaller the image is the viewfinder gets darker.

You're going to have to use small apertures to get your shutter speed down far enough to blur moving water. That's where ND filters come in so very handy.

Most reactions

Back