Should I trade D40 for D70?

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to upgrade my D40, which I have had for about 3 months now. The lack of an AF motor is really frustrating, and I want something slightly more durable. I was either going to go with the D50 or the D70, but while I can probably afford it I'm going to go with the D70. The question is, what does the D70 lack that the D40 has (with the exception of smaller screen and size)? What are the advantages of the D70 over the D40?

What are the advantages of the D70 over the D40?

AF motor, slightly more durable

You answered yourself. The D70 is somewhat older technology, but as far as I see it's at least on par with the D40 as far as image quality. The lack of AF motor is frustrating you, you want more durability, and a fringe benefit is that the D70 has that more "pro" ease of use i.e. more wheels and whatnot, I haven't used it but it should be quicker to adjust settings and the top LCD screen is always nice.

I think a D70 is a better choice for anybody looking for or using a D40.

Screen size and memory buffer are the only "downgrades" from a d40. Memory buffer is only an issue if you shoot raw--you'll only get about 3 full speed spots when shooting raw before you are slowed down a bit by the transfer to the memory card.

If I were you I would seriously consider moving up to a d80 or d200, a d40 to d70 is a really small step forward (focus motor and more external controls). If you buy a D80 you can keep using the same memory cards (the d70 and d200 use compact flash).

I see used D80's for sale for $500 all the time, and a used d200 can be had for $750.

Personally I'm a huge fan of the d200, as it will meter with older non-cpu lenses.

Screen size and memory buffer are the only "downgrades" from a d40. Memory buffer is only an issue if you shoot raw--you'll only get about 3 full speed spots when shooting raw before you are slowed down a bit by the transfer to the memory card.

If I were you I would seriously consider moving up to a d80 or d200, a d40 to d70 is a really small step forward (focus motor and more external controls). If you buy a D80 you can keep using the same memory cards (the d70 and d200 use compact flash).

I see used D80's for sale for $500 all the time, and a used d200 can be had for $750.

Personally I'm a huge fan of the d200, as it will meter with older non-cpu lenses.

Eh, it really depends how much my D40 body will sell for. If it sells for like $350 (which it will probably) then I'm probably not gonna dish out an extra $150 for an upgraded body. I would rather put it toward a good lens. What will the D80 give me that the D70 wont?

Eh, it really depends how much my D40 body will sell for. If it sells for like $350 (which it will probably) then I'm probably not gonna dish out an extra $150 for an upgraded body. I would rather put it toward a good lens. What will the D80 give me that the D70 wont?

You're right that the d40 and d70 are about even trades $$ wise and a D80 will cost you at least $150 more. D80 has the same feel and layout of a D70 but with a D40 size LCD screen and memory buffer--it also has the d200's 10mp sensor.

That said, I would agree with your assessment that you're better off putting $$ into a lens then a body.

You're right that the d40 and d70 are about even trades $$ wise and a D80 will cost you at least $150 more. D80 has the same feel and layout of a D70 but with a D40 size LCD screen and memory buffer--it also has the d200's 10mp sensor.

That said, I would agree with your assessment that you're better off putting $$ into a lens then a body.

Screen is not important because the only reason I use the screen is to determine if there is something severely wrong with the photo. I also don't need the extra MP. I am not printing poster sized photos, and all those extra MP will do is waste my memory card faster.

The buffer seems like the only thing significant, and I rarely shoot things that move. That being said, how do I find the number of shutter acutations on my D40?

^^ to be fair, the larger screen can make a difference in doing just what you describe. Ask anyone with a D300.

IMO the D70 is a way better overall camera than the D50, and the D80 is of course better than that. If you're choosing between D50 and a GOOD QUALITY D70... D70 ALL THE WAY.

By the way, be SURE to get a D70S! Some big improvements in the D70S over the D70.

adorama has used nikon D70s bodys for $350
great deal you can use all the lens that you have and AF the Nikkor AF 50mm 1.8
or alot of older lens
im getting the D70s with the 18-70 for $450 great deal

I think the D40 has a more sensitive sensor (base ISO is 200) and better high ISO performance than the D70.. can anyone confirm that?

One thing that you will apparently find is that the D70 has really lousy and dark viewfinder.

I think the D40 has a more sensitive sensor (base ISO is 200) and better high ISO performance than the D70.. can anyone confirm that?
Yes on the base ISO. Not sure on the ISO performance, but I would expect so.

Base ISO is 200... I wouldn't call that "more sensitive", I'd call it a pain in the ass.

I have no info on high ISO performance but it would stand to reason that the D40 is gonna be slightly better at least.

Default ISO on both the D70 and D40 is 200.

What are the improvements of the D70s over the D70?

Man I KNEW someone was gonna ask that:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042003nikond70s.asp#compared

EDIT: Summary from Dpreview: "Nikon has today announced an upgraded version of the D70, the new D70s. This camera has the same CCD sensor and imaging pipeline as the D70 so image quality should be identical. However several changes have been introduced including improved auto focus accuracy, slightly wider flash coverage, a higher capacity battery, a new larger 2.0" LCD monitor and re-designed menus. The D70s Kit including the 18-70 mm lens will cost around $1199 (£899.99/€1343), while the body only will be $899 (£699.99/€1045), expected to ship in early May. "

Ah. Thats good, but it doesn't seem too significant, except for the battery life and the AF accuracy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back