Should I upgrade camera firmware?

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My e-510's firmware is 1.0. Should I update it? Are there downsides? The manual says I can't downgrade. Why would I want to?

Hmmmmm.... I just upgraded the firmware on my 7D. I think most firmware upgrades are done to correct known issues in the camera and I can't imagine why you wouldn't do it. If you ever want to sell your camera, the buyer would probably want to know that it is as current as possible.

I hadn't realized that I had missed a firmware update on my 30D for 2008, so I did that yesterday as well. Since they don't make the 30D anymore, I'll bet that the firmware update will eventually be discontinued from the website.

always scared something will go wrong and i have a bricked camera :(

If there was a problem with the firmware update I'm sure there would be tons of people bitching about it online. You should be fine.

always scared something will go wrong and i have a bricked camera :(
Follow the instructions and you'll have a 99.999999999998% chance of success.

It's really not that big of deal upgrading the firmware. Just follow the simple instructions and you'll be fine.

:D

I honestly can't see the reason why you should update if nothing is wrong with the version you got the camera with. Yes, you might get rid of some mistakes you probably haven't heard of. For me it's not worth the time. Sometimes though, camera manufacturers add some useful features. Sadly, that's pretty rare. Check out the Olympus website, I'm sure they've got their firmware changelog somewhere.

Yes, you might get rid of some mistakes you probably haven't heard of.

And that's why you should update your firmware. You might think everything is fine, but then you take a series of shots that replicate what the firmware fixed. Then you have bad shots, or a camera that isn't working, or some other problem. There is absolutely no reason not to update your firmware. If it's supported by the manufacturer, there should be no problems in the installation, and if there is, they manufacturer should make it right. It takes less than 5 minutes to do, so there really is no excuse.

I see absolutely no reason not to update your firmware. It's a good idea to keep things current.

As part of the update process there should be a CRC check to verify the file you have copied to the camera is proper and not corrupt. Usually the only time any sort of update crashes (on any device) is due to power issue etc during the process...almost never..

Typically Firmware updates also deal with new lens that come out, so I would if you are seeing any issues or bough some new lens by your camera's brand.

i have no problems and the firmware changes are minor and do nothing for me but ill do it anyway maybe there are improvements they dont mention that can help me :)

Most reactions

Back