Shout out to the Nikon folks

wescobts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to pull the trigger on a new lens, actually I want two. I want to buy the 60 mm 2.8 macro and also the 85 mm 1.8. I only have the money for one right now, and am concerned that both of these lenses will be discontinued for AF-S and I really don't want that. So which lens would you think would be gone first ?

The 60 already has an AF-S version...
Nikon 60mm AF-S Micro

So I would get either one. At this point since the 60 AF-S is already out, you get whichever one you want. I'd go with the 60

~Michael~

I am looking to pull the trigger on a new lens, actually I want two. I want to buy the 60 mm 2.8 macro and also the 85 mm 1.8. I only have the money for one right now, and am concerned that both of these lenses will be discontinued for AF-S and I really don't want that. So which lens would you think would be gone first ?

Ask yourself if you want to shoot macro or not. That will help you make the decision. ;) I have the 85mm f/1.8 and it's a great lens. Very sharp even wide open. It has great out-of-focus rendering (bokeh) that I've noticed so far. I am disappointed in it's lack of close-focusing ability though.

Don't fret over whether it's going to be obsoleted by an AF-S version. I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon. Even if it does the 85 f/1.8 will still be an excellent lens. You can always sell it later, someone will want it. An excellent super-fast telephoto for under a grand? Yes, please.

I think the 60/2.8 AF-D will be discontinued first, since the 60mm AF-S G model is already out and on the market. I think the 85/1.8 AF-D will be around a while longer. Both lenses are readily available on the used market.

I have the 60 AF-D, and like every macro lens I've ever bought, I bought it used for a shadow of its new price. Macro lenses, at least common models which are plentiful like Nikon and Canon and Tamron or Sigma, are available used for pretty good prices. Many people buy a macro, use it a while, it sits around unused, and then they sell it...I've seen 25 year old macro lenses in almost mint shape. So, the 60 AF-D will be available for quite some time.

No rush really, on either lens. And besides, when a new model does come out, there are boatloads of the old ones that flood the used market. I'm a big believer in buying used lenses from a place that offers an honest return privilege.

Ask yourself if you want to shoot macro or not. That will help you make the decision. ;) I have the 85mm f/1.8 and it's a great lens. Very sharp even wide open. It has great out-of-focus rendering (bokeh) that I've noticed so far. I am disappointed in it's lack of close-focusing ability though.

Don't fret over whether it's going to be obsoleted by an AF-S version. I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon. Even if it does the 85 f/1.8 will still be an excellent lens. You can always sell it later, someone will want it. An excellent super-fast telephoto for under a grand? Yes, please.

Well I thought I would at least try it, and the reviews on the lens is very good, a lot of folks say it's also great as a walk around lens. The same goes for the 85 mm 1.8, so it's a tough decision, your imput was great. :thumbup:

I think the 60/2.8 AF-D will be discontinued first, since the 60mm AF-S G model is already out and on the market. I think the 85/1.8 AF-D will be around a while longer. Both lenses are readily available on the used market.

I have the 60 AF-D, and like every macro lens I've ever bought, I bought it used for a shadow of its new price. Macro lenses, at least common models which are plentiful like Nikon and Canon and Tamron or Sigma, are available used for pretty good prices. Many people buy a macro, use it a while, it sits around unused, and then they sell it...I've seen 25 year old macro lenses in almost mint shape. So, the 60 AF-D will be available for quite some time.

No rush really, on either lens. And besides, when a new model does come out, there are boatloads of the old ones that flood the used market. I'm a big believer in buying used lenses from a place that offers an honest return privilege.

That's great to hear, thanks very much for your insight :thumbup: I live in Rochester,New York, and I have watch some of the finest camera shops dry up and close, and the two that are still open stock very little on the shelves, pretty grim.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back