Sigma 18-35 F 1.8 vs Canon 24-70 F 2.8 L which is better?

Tony Northrup loooooves the Sigma...even though he has never accepted any money from any camera or gear maker.

But seriously, the Sigma is for APS-C Canon cameras, and is a 28.8mm to 56mm FF equivalent angle of view lens, with a fairly narrow 2:1 ratio zoom, with a VERY fast f/1.8 maximum aperture setting.

The 24-70 Canon on an APS-C camera is 38.4mm to 112mm FF equivalent angle of view lens, or an approximately 2.91:1 ratio zoom. It is also an f/2.8 maximum aperture lens.

These are two VERY different types of lenses, and the Sigma locks you in to using ONLY Canon 1.6x crop-sensor bodies, while the Canon 24-70 allows use on both APS-C and Full-Frame Canon bodies.

The Sigma tests out much better as far as the overall impression of sharpness on the Canon 7D body than the Canon lens does, but it's a wide-angle to normal range of focal lengths, which may or may not be what one wants or needs.

Tony Northrup loooooves the Sigma...even though he has never accepted any money from any camera or gear maker.

But seriously, the Sigma is for APS-C Canon cameras, and is a 28.8mm to 56mm FF equivalent angle of view lens, with a fairly narrow 2:1 ratio zoom, with a VERY fast f/1.8 maximum aperture setting.

The 24-70 Canon on an APS-C camera is 38.4mm to 112mm zoom range, or an approximately 2.91:1 ratio zoom. It is also an f/2.8 maximum aperture lens.

These are two VERY different types of lenses, and the Sigma locks you in to using ONLY Canon 1.6x crop-sensor bodies, while the Canon 24-70 allows use on both APS-C and Full-Frame Canon bodies.

I'll be using this with a 70D

I'd look at a sigma 17-50f2.8 OS over either ones you mentioned

Well if you can't see a difference it doesn't matter which one ya get ;)

Well if you can't see a difference it doesn't matter which one ya get ;)

true, but in low light the F1.8 is soo good, ugh this is hard... also the 18-35 is a bit weather sealed as the lens doesn't move when zooming in and out

The sigma 18-35 is not weather sealed

it sounds like you've already decided.
just go get the 18-35 so you can start shooting with it.

I'd look at a sigma 17-50f2.8 OS over either ones you mentioned

I've looked at some photo comparisons, but can't decide on which is sharper
FYI, I have the 17-50 f2.8 and it is a very good lens. Not quite 'L' glass but you'd be hard pressed to see a difference. It's a little more versatile than the 18 x 35, but not the super shallow DOF.
Heres a sample of my 17-50 f2.8 . This was shot at f4 and you can see the rope about 4" in the foreground and the rope 8" beyond.
Mia close up.JPG

The original 24-70 2.8 L is a bit of is a bit of a letdown. It's not all that sharp. I'd vote for the Sigma.

i have the sigma 18-35 1.8 on my nikon, best lens ever IMO, that is if you are fine with a 18-35mm that does not have any image stabilization.. i have had a few other sigma lenses that were nice but thees new art and sport lenses are top notch.. at least the ones i have and a couple of my friends have are.

the colors are awesome, its crazy sharp wide open at all focal lengths .. no chromatic aberration, not much to complain about at all...

here is a heavily cropped photo i took of a test chart at f/1.8 with min to show you how sharp it is. i did tune the lens with the dock.. mine was not tuned well from the factory but after i got it all tuned its pretty awesome..

20160429-DSC_0801.jpg

I would've stuck with my crop sensor camera if the Sigma 18-35 focused accurately. I'm not sure if this was a copy variation thing, but I just couldn't get consistent focus results.

Most reactions

Back