Sigma 50mm 1.4 OR canon version

MH_91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys,

So am debating between sigma 50 mm 1.4 OR canon 50mm 1.4.

What you guys think? Which one is better and sharper?

Thanks in advance.

Am using a 40D canon.

The Canon lens has higher resolution than the Sigma (according to DxO, not always the best source). The Sigma lens has nicer looking bokeh (in some opinions).

I bought the Canon version and haven't regretted it one bit. It's less expensive as well.

Check out the last topic about this. Be wary of Sigma quality control with that lens.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I currently own a sigma 85mm 1.4.

I was thinking of selling this, and get the 30mm 1.4 and the 50mm 1.4 instead.

Am doing this because the 85mm on a crop is pain in the butt while I take pictures in a very small area.

Would you guys recommend this move, or no??

Am doing this because the 85mm on a crop is pain in the butt while I take pictures in a very small area.

If you are wanting it for portraits / indoors.. I would get the 50mm. You already know the the Sigma EX series are good lenses.

Check out the last topic about this. Be wary of Sigma quality control with that lens.

Biles.. have you ever even owned a Sigma 50 or 85 1.4 EX.. or even shot one? Or are you just repeating what you have heard, like everybody else on the internet?

Are you trying to sell Nikon mount lens to a Canon guy? LOL :D <j/k>

cgipson1 said:
If you are wanting it for portraits / indoors.. I would get the 50mm. You already know the the Sigma EX series are good lenses. I do have one for sale by the way.... ;)

What and why?!

If you are wanting it for portraits / indoors.. I would get the 50mm. You already know the the Sigma EX series are good lenses.

Yea, mostly i will use the prime lenses for E-shoot, wedding preparation and wedding portraits.

Sigma has great lenses, no question about it. Super sharp, and efficient. My only concern is about the 50mm, cause i have heard some negative comments about it, like the focus is slow, and not very accurate focusing. So i wanted to hear your opinion about this lens, and same thing applies for th 30mm as well.

Are you trying to sell Nikon mount lens to a Canon guy? LOL :D <j/k>

You will notice that I edited my post... immediately! Because I forgot he was on the Dark Side! lol!

Yea, mostly i will use the prime lenses for E-shoot, wedding preparation and wedding portraits.

Sigma has great lenses, no question about it. Super sharp, and efficient. My only concern is about the 50mm, cause i have heard some negative comments about it, like the focus is slow, and not very accurate focusing. So i wanted to hear your opinion about this lens, and same thing applies for th 30mm as well.

On my Nikon... it is neither slow or inaccurate! I just don't use it much since I bought my D800... used it mostly on my D7000 since the 50mm was far better indoors then the 85 was. You are no doubt aware that many of the "EXPERTS" say the same thing about your Sigma 85 (slow, bad, etc)... but since most of those "EXPERTS" are just doing the Lemming thing, and repeating what they heard... and have never owned or used one, you have to decide whether or not those "EXPERTS" are credible! :)

Biles.. have you ever even owned a Sigma 50 or 85 1.4 EX.. or even shot one? Or are you just repeating what you have heard, like everybody else on the internet?

Never said a word about the 85. The 50 has known focusing issues that may require the lens to be sent to Sigma for calibration. This is pretty common knowledge, and even Sigma admits it. I extensively researched the two lenses before making my purchase decision, and went with what worked.

cgipson1 said:
If you are wanting it for portraits / indoors.. I would get the 50mm. You already know the the Sigma EX series are good lenses. I do have one for sale by the way.... ;)

What and why?!

I am considering selling my Sigma 50mm 1.4... as i don't use it much anymore. My d800 suits me just fine with the 85 1.4 on it! And I have my 24-70 if I need something wider!

Never said a word about the 85. The 50 has known focusing issues that may require the lens to be sent to Sigma for calibration. This is pretty common knowledge, and even Sigma admits it. I extensively researched the two lenses before making my purchase decision, and went with what worked.

Cool.. no problem! But I OWN one.. no focusing issues! ;)

Cool.. no problem! But I OWN one.. no focusing issues! ;)

You are a lucky one! I'd have chosen it over the Canon in an instant if I was guaranteed a good copy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back