Sigma SD14

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by BoblyBill, Dec 5, 2006.

1. BoblyBill

BoblyBill TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I just a read about the new Sigma SD14 the three layered light sensor. I was amazed but I know that advertisments are designed to make it look better than others so that you will buy them, but it did look impressive... I was wondering what you guys thought about it... Any experience with them?

2. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

I've always had mixed views on Sigma. On the one hand they do make some very good lenses, often for a lot less than the big names, and they do make some lenses that you probably wouldn't otherwise find anywhere near the same price range (for example a 30mm f/1.4). On the other hand their quality control doesn't seem to be great, and there are many stories of lenses not autofocusing properly. Also, when I looked at their film SLRs, I was very impressed indeed by what functions they put in the cameras - like mirror lock-up - which again would not be found on any of the big names' cameras at the same price... but again the build quality did not overly impress me.

One issue I have with Sigma is that they use their own proprietary lens mount. That may sound fairly silly; all the big names have their own lens mount too. But my point is, with Sigma you are limited to Sigma lenses, whereas with Canon, Nikon, Minolta/Sony or Pentax you have not only their own lenses but also Sigma's, Tamron's and Tokina's. This may or may not be a problem for you.

As for their digital sensors... I honestly don't know if they're any good. I have never used one. Hopefully someone else knows more about that.

3. bla

bla TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I own a Sigma SA9 with a crappy kit lens. But I've generally felt that the SA9 was pretty solid in my hands, and I loved the feel of it.

Then the tripod screw insert broke, and now I'm left with a slow lens without a tripod connection at the bottom of my camera.

Digitally, I can't really help you there. All I can say is that they do know how to put some very nice functions in their cameras, and they know what 'ergonomics' means, unlike some other manufacturers and their low-end dSLRs (*cough canon XT *cough).

4. bla

bla TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd10/

This explains it fairly straight-forwardly, seems to be the next big thing. And I doubt dpreview is very biased. They also have a bunch of X3 sensor hands-ons and etc.