Size/Pixelation vs. Quick Uploading

AprilEye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.aprilreppucci.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I love to have my camera on the setting for the hightest pixelation possible (18m) and best quality... because that is why I bought the camera I did, is there a way to compress the photos for the purpose of uploading to an online album without loosing the size and quality. Its a shame that you have to sacrafice size/quality for a faster upload. I have a Canon Rebel T2i and have looked in the manual for this to no avail. Any insight as to if its even possible or not would be appreciated. Thanks!

Well "compressing" would mean losing quality or size. "Pixelation" is usually used to mean that you can see the pixels more clearly (a bad thing). What you're referring to is purely the size of the image captured.

You either have to think about the fastest upload or best quality. It's not possible to have both without upgrading your internet connection. Even on my relatively fast connection it usually takes a few hours to upload a single events shooting to Flickr. Most of my images end up being close to around 20Mb after PP...so after 100-200 images it can take awhile lol

Even on my relatively fast connection it usually takes a few hours to upload a single events shooting to Flickr. Most of my images end up being close to around 20Mb after PP...so after 100-200 images it can take awhile lol

Thanks Derek - I have to agree with you... so I need to be patient then.

The question the comes to mind is: Why do you need 18M quality for an online album? (Or do you mean online backup / archive?) Resizing an 18M image to a High Quality JPG of 1024x768 can still result in a beautiful photo that looks great in a web browser. The software that comes with that camera will do a nice job of resizing the pictures for web use, and you can still keep the high quality original images in a local archive.

I have to go with NegativeISO... There is absolutly no need to conserve an 18MB file for upload to the web... with even large sized monitors screen resolutlion rarely larger than 1280 x 1024... there is no need to upload an image larger that that... doing so won't provide any benefit.

The only reason you would want to upload the full image is if you are archiving it or if you want someone else to copy it.

With that being said, there are quite a few bulk "image resizer" applications out there... many of which are freeware. I use "Fotosizer". Fotosizer Batch Image Resizer - Image resizing made easy its pretty streamlined and simple to use. You can easily resize tons of photos at once while still retaining the originals

Also, look at your hosting service. Flickr Vs. Photobucket. Photobucket does compress the crap out of images, making them look like crap where Flickr does a good job of saving the original image quality.

Do your sizing first, then upload. With my desktop being wired to the router, I can upload three 1024xXXX sized images in a matter of seconds.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back