Smartphone apps

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by bogleric, Aug 12, 2017.

1. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

I have begun looking at some smartphone apps related to cloud cover and light timing. The light timings could be very useful to get a better idea of the location and situation before spending hours in the car to find out the lighting is wrong due to the landscape.

Anyone have any experience with these applications?

Cloud cover prediction could be cool too; however, these seem a bit gimmicky to me.

2. snowbear

snowbear Big Furball Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The Photographer's Ephemeris will show you where the sun (and moon) will be, in relation to a place, at any given time. It will also provide rise and set times.

• Like Like x 2
  3. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

Thanks... I was recently reading about that app, but theory is different than reality.

I assume you have used it and found it works well?

I notice in many of the reviews that the authors don't support it well or really support Android. That is a concern as my main smartphone device is a Galaxy Note 5.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ummmm...the location of the sun and moon are WELL known and well understood. Calculating them is dead simple. Even years in advance.

5. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

True, however with significant elevation changes and distances it takes some work to calculate out the time deltas. Add in terrain topography and the challenge begins to require review of topo maps etc. start shooting in mountain ranges and valleys with unique characteristics and it only compounds.

Hence, why a tool would be nice. And if monkey simple as you say there should be dozens of them.

It sounds as though the app mentioned would be able to assist with an IOS device