Smashed Rim

Luxaltor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just recently received a Voigtlander Bessamatic from my Grandfather. The camera was dropped once, and as a result the 50mm lens has a small bend in-wards at the rim. It wouldn't be too big of an issue except that I wish to use a filter with the lens. Is it possible to use plieres and attempt to bend it back in place? Any special tricks I should know about?

Thanks in advance!

Using pliers would likely mangle it.

There is a tool made for this repair. It's called a filter ring vise.

See:
Lens Filter Ring Vise - Part #: LV1

But, it's not cheap and it may be too large for your Bessamatic lens anyway.

If your lens is the 50mm f/2.8 Color-Skopar, I would just find another. It
is a good lens but it's common and inexpensive. You could also find a
non-working Bessamatic on eBay for around $20, swap lenses, and then
sell the the non-working one on eBay for parts and get most of your money
back.

The Voigtlander filter ring is 40.5mm, so it does fit within the range advertised for the vise. Trying to bend it out with pliers will almost certainly not work. Compur's suggestion of a replacement lens is probably the most sensible. I also have a Bessamatic, so I frequent that section of Ebay, and those lenses come up quite often (though in most cases with a camera attached). If no camera is attached, just make sure you get the right one. I've also gotten a number of original Voigtlander 40.5mm filters and close-up lenses on Ebay.

When using filters other than skylight and UV, don't forget the filter factor adjustment on the camera.

Last edited:
I ended up just ordering the vice. It isn't too much money, and it would be a nice tool to have around. Thank you for the suggestion!

I know the problem is solved and all but on an old mamiya lens for the nc1000 instead of all the fancy gadgets we just used an old filter to bend it back into place...

If it's not horribly bent, the easiest way to straighten cost about $1 or two and a few mins of time.

First start with a block of oak or maple, using a belt sander or forstner bit, make a depression the with the same radius as the outside of the lens.

Get a dowel approx 1/4" diameter (or a 3/8" or so square) and sand it to a point about 1/8" to 3/16"

Lay the lens in the recess, a helper to hold it makes it easier.

Now, with a small hammer tap the ring out, staring with small taps along the entire dent, slowly working it out from the sides.

Should the threads be too damaged to thread a filter on, you can file (carefully) the damaged threads away, the filter will still screw on just fine.

Write the diameter on the block and put it away, you will soon need it again, as you will suddenly find lots of lenses that need straightening on ebay or camera stores for next to nothing.

I've successfully done this with everything from flea market finds with slight dents to a Fuji 135W view camera lens that was "junk" due to the ring being bent nearly to touching the glass.

Most reactions

Back