So how do you do it?

Good stuff! lol

You can also look for a local photography group. I found mine on meetup.com.

Lyncca Harvey Photography : photos : Fort Worth Water Gardens- powered by SmugMug

Wow, I need to find one of these groups. I'll have to do some research. Do these groups mind if you are new and don't know...um...what apature, ISO, white balance or f-stop is yet? :lol: I need a group that can show me the tricks and explain to me in a way I can actually retain the information in my brain. I think that would be so cool.

Those pictures are WONDERFUL!!! You mean to tell me that's a bad area? You'd never know.

I can't wait until tonight. It should be interesting. The weather is nice out today and it suppose to stay in the high 30's tonight I believe. Let's hope it doesn't rain or anything...that would be my luck.

<---Dancing for joy! :clap: I found a local group here...bad thing is, their meeting was just LAST NIGHT-with 34 people in attendance! grrrr

Meet other local Digital Photographers and Photoshoppers to talk about the latest digital gear and techniques!
We're an open group that typically meets monthly. Every other month our focus generally shifts from Photoshop (image editing) to Photography (image taking.)
Don't be afraid if you're new to photography or photoshop, there are already people at all age levels in the group. On the flip side, if you seem to know everything there is to know about either....we want you too since there's always some hidden corner left to be introduced to.
If you want outings, I strongly suggest looking at Flickr: Flickr Meet - Columbus Ohio
clear.gif

Every month there are usually a few events around town to get out and go shoot with photographers at all skill levels. We have some fairly good overlap members-wise with that group as well.

I'll be contacting them. :thumbup:

Those pictures are WONDERFUL!!! You mean to tell me that's a bad area? You'd never know.

From my viewpoint as a tourist, downtown Fort Worth is a mix of beauty and slums. Within just a few blocks you can go from upscale shops and restaurants to industrial areas and run down looking houses. Can't say I ever felt unsafe driving around last summer trying to get my bearings after my GPS died.

I am curious where downtown this is though so I can be sure to check it out next time I'm in DFW.

Wow, I need to find one of these groups. I'll have to do some research. Do these groups mind if you are new and don't know...um...what apature, ISO, white balance or f-stop is yet? :lol: I need a group that can show me the tricks and explain to me in a way I can actually retain the information in my brain. I think that would be so cool.

I can't wait until tonight. It should be interesting. The weather is nice out today and it suppose to stay in the high 30's tonight I believe. Let's hope it doesn't rain or anything...that would be my luck.

It isn't a BAD area, it is just very dark and secluded and there tends to be homeless around there. My husband was pretty glad I made him go with me. He called it "Rape Central".

<---Dancing for joy! :clap: I found a local group here...bad thing is, their meeting was just LAST NIGHT-with 34 people in attendance! grrrr

I'll be contacting them. :thumbup:

That's great! That is exactly what I did. I didn't have any friends that would go shooting with me so I put on my big girl panties and went and made my own friends!

From my viewpoint as a tourist, downtown Fort Worth is a mix of beauty and slums. Within just a few blocks you can go from upscale shops and restaurants to industrial areas and run down looking houses. Can't say I ever felt unsafe driving around last summer trying to get my bearings after my GPS died.

I am curious where downtown this is though so I can be sure to check it out next time I'm in DFW.

That is correct. The main part of downtown is completely safe. I used to wonder around at 3 in the morning when I was younger with no problems. This location is on the outskirts though across from the convention center. It is called the Fort Worth Water Gardens. It is a landmark to many locals from playing there graduation, to in my case having my bridal portraits in there (just imagine me getting down those falls in heels and train!)

That's great! That is exactly what I did. I didn't have any friends that would go shooting with me so I put on my big girl panties and went and made my own friends!

Thanks...I spit my pop out when I read that. :lmao: Buwahahahaha

IT'S 48 DEGREES OUT RIGHT NOW!!! oh my...I only have 2 hours to go before heading out...tick tock, tick tock.

Last edited:
Having a lot of people can also be kinda distracting, though I bet as you're newer it would be cool because you'd have someone there to ask questions too.

Me, personally, I find photography to be a very personal affair. I wind up getting very sucked in and kind of shut out the world to some degree... or at least become way less sociable. It kinda depends on what I'm doing, of course.

I don't think you should be nervous... particularly if you at least have one person (in this case your husband) with you. Just be smart. Keep your gear and everything close by. Keep an eye on your surroundings and just be aware of where other people are and what they are doing. Understand that with a camera and a tripod EVERYONE is going to be watching you. I've never understood what's so fascinating about a photographer, but we attract a TON of attention.

The more you do it, the bolder you'll get with it. I still haven't quite gotten up the nerve to go down into the scary park near our local Zakim Bridge yet, though. :lol:

Back to your original question- you're going to want to try to walk, as others said. I would suggest actually getting a babysitter for the evening. Don't take the kid. That's going to likely be a bad idea in more ways that one. If you can't avoid it, so be it, but... I would if I could. They're distracting enough at home, let alone roaming around the city at night. :)

If you have to take the kid, perhaps bring the stroller along so you can move about that way. He/she will probably enjoy the walk anyway. Bundle up! :)

Well, we're about to head out now. I'm not too sure if this is going to happen or not. It's actually 48 degrees outside, but the wind picked up and I mean PICKED UP...so it feels like it's freezing outside. There's no way I can take the baby out in it. So, they'll have to be sights that we can pull up to, I can jump out and shoot and the hubby remain in the car with the kids.
I really don't have anyone to babysit or I would. My daughter babysat today while I worked, so she's not going to want to do it again tonight. My daughter-in-law is expecting a baby in 2 months and has been in and out of the hospital all week with contractions and now on bed rest for the week. So...I'm kinda stuck.

I would much rather do this myself zoned out in my own little world, but with being new, I just think someone along that knows what they are doing would be nice. Someone to give me pointers. So, I think I'll try the local club for awhile. It sounds like fun. They rotate between photography and photoshop, so it should be fun and I'll learn a lot for now.

Wish me luck guys. I may or may not have results when I return. :D

I'm not sure if this is in the right spot. But I have a question about shooting pictures.

I'm thinking about going out tonight around our down town area (it's beautifully lit up at night) and try to take some night pictures...with tripod in tow.

Do you guys normally just pull over and set up and start shooting pictures? Or is it one of those waiting at the red light and snap a picture type thing?

I'm just worried about what others say or think when you pull over and set up shop somewhere. Do you ever get ask questions? Do you ever get in trouble with the cops? Are you ever ask to leave?

I'm just kinda nervous about it.

It's been my experience that the general public has a respect and admiration for photographers - and that new photographers are afraid to stick out and draw attention.

Once I was pulled over downtown, as if to park but instead I was shooting out the window of my car at the big church, many shots for a pano stitch. A guy walked in front of my lens and I didn't mind (of course) he was crossing the street, when he noticed me he said "Oh I'm sorry" and I said "no problem and have a nice day". So that is one instance when a regular Joe was receptive to a photographer.

So I say go ahead and do your work as if you are a hero. Be confident and polite and people will be very receptive to you.

And if you think about it, it makes perfect sense. That big camera you weild, it looks cool. A photographer - "is she from the newspaper?". Everyone loves a photographer.

What if you saw a man with an easel painting, right in that same spot where you planned to set up your camera and tripod - How would you feel about that guy with all the different paints and his long brush - would you feel he's cool or would you be upset? Of course you would feel he's really cool.

A photographer creates that same response in people.

I wonder why we n00b photographers are always so afraid that people will think we're troublemakers :)

We should be confident and proud :) People wil be receptive to that.

Of course if you are terrified of causing a stir you might look very suspicious and people will react negatively to that. So just be confident and polite.

Happy shooting,
Craig

Well, we were out last night for about 2 hours or so. What an eventful night. We found some really neat stuff. I still have to download my pics but had to tell everyone what happened.

The VERY FIRST STOP we went to...There is a building that you take your children to. It's called COSI (center of science and industry). There was a really neat lit up tree and the building was lit up blue. We stopped right outside the parking lot. My son and I got out, had to walk a little ways to the tree and I set up the tripod. I seen several people getting off work leave from the parking lot area. I seen this regular white car leave and the guy was looking (just as the others had). So then we drove around to the other side of the building because it's located on the river front. Took a few shots there. Kept driving around the building (all on main one way streets) and ended up back in front of the building where it was blue. We pulled in to what I think might have been a loading dock (with a few dumpsters there-it was really a huge area, not some alley type dark and dreary place) and started taking pics of the building lit up blue. We notice a car pull out (there were several cars and trucks parked there) and we thought he might stop and say hello or ask what we were doing. But instead they pulled up to the street as if to pull onto the street and just sat there. So we continued to shoot. After about 10 min or so I pulled forward and turned around. I noticed the car sitting there put it in reverse. He tried to back up and turned as if he was turning around and went up on the curb...I'm like um ok. So he just sat there. So I started to go around because there was plenty enough room. When I did that he moved so I couldn't get by. It was real creapy. I had my window down and was asking him "what are you doing?" and he wouldn't look at me or roll his window down or get out of the car. So I pulled forward more and he did as well. At this point I'm getting pissed and yelling again asking what he was doing. I pulled within inches of his car and seen that he was on his cell phone. At this point I'm about to get out (and also wishing that I was in the Volvo station wago b/c I would have just went threw the first time and if he hit me there would have been problems. But I was in the Audi and with the baby in the car...ugh). I'm thinking this is some creap (b/c he was in a regular car, no cop car, no rent a cop security car or outfit...not even a walkie talkie). Finally I see some young kid come out of the building on his cell phone and I ask what this guy is doing by not letting me out. He said "he just wants to know why you are taking pictures of the building". I said "then why didn't he stop and ask instead of blocking me and not rolling down his window or getting out to talk to me" I mean this was the same guy that pulled out of the parking lot on the other side when I first started shooting the tree WITH my tripod and WITH my kid. OBVIOUSLY I was taking pictures...duh! The guy from the building was really nice. I told him we had just bought a new camera and was out photographing some architechture night shots. He gave me a few suggestions and wished me luck. But it was kinda a scary situation b/c we didn't know who this guy in the car was and we do have a serial rapist out in the area that they haven't caught.

Way to start my night and experience in shooting night photography! :thumbup: :grumpy:

Oh BTW, my husband got so mad when he was going back and forth with his car that he started taking pictures of the car and guy too. I think we ended up making him a little nervous as well. :lol:

Ok, I have pictures ready...is there a limit to how many you post? I wanted to make sure before I posted them.

Ok, I have pictures ready...is there a limit to how many you post? I wanted to make sure before I posted them.
I'd say, if you just want to share, then just share. If you want critique or comments, then you'd be good to post 2 or 3 specific photos you want comments on.

Ok...here goes. Sorry in advance for having so many.

1) This is the first stop-the COSI building :

3223296122_4476ff9893.jpg

2) This is a halogram type tree that each individual square on the tree spins. It's pretty neat:

3223268036_11fa572f70.jpg

3) Back of the building:

3222416469_0fdb80b3ce.jpg

4) Side of the building where we got into trouble:

3223279480_e4787338ff.jpg

5) The waterfront down town with the flags:

3222587531_98b844c82f.jpg

6) Building on the waterfront with a statue:

3222584791_9f38301f2c.jpg

7) Down town buildings:

3222418679_e047d13188.jpg

8) Close up of the building (shot with a 70mm lens):

3223291104_869fb6453f.jpg

9) Painting on the side of one of the buildings:

3223284370_f8f6632476.jpg

10) I was trying to capture the neat lit up arches along the main road that changes colors every few minutes...however, there was so much traffic that I couldn't achieve anything. We sat there and took a lot of pictures (about 20 min worth of sitting there) and didn't even notice there was another painting on the side of this building (look to the far left). I didn't notice it until I got home and uploaded all the pictures:

3222441673_bda847f04b.jpg

11) There are some neat "weird" buildings down there as well. I only took a picture of 1 of them:

3222444457_d5f2f7bdb5.jpg

12) And last of all...there was just something about this corner building that I liked once I got home:

3223281618_7b7681db99.jpg

Sorry there are so many pictures. I just had to share a few of them. I know several of them have a lot of noise in them. I'm still learning and trying to figure out the settings on the camera.

You are welcome to comment on any of them if you want.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back