So I got me this ball head....

jwkwd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
From Amvona. I am actually kind of surprised with the thing. It retails for $299.00, sells on their site for $219.00, I got it for $31.00, which means nothing. It is the largest that they sell ( ATH A103 ) and is supposed to hold something like 40 pounds. At first there seemed to have a sticky point or 2 but after worked it around for a while, it seems kind of smooth. The adjustments were different from what I am used to, so that could have been part of the problem. Granted it is not an Arca Swiss or Markins, so I don't feel that I got ripped off or anything, hell for $30.00 what can I say. I put on a Nikon F4s w/MF-23 and a 70-300 and it held where I put it without drifting, or moving when I locked it down. I guess the point is to be able to move and stay where you put it. I certainly would not pay the retail for it, but for a low cost ball head, it's not bad. Later today I am going to put on my F3 w/MD-4 and a 300, since that is a very front heavy set up and only use the camera mount. That will tell, or show me if I get a banged up lens hood. ;)

I was surprised with a heavier set-up. I admit again, it is not a Markins or Arca, but for the money paid, I like it. There was just a slight movement when I locked it down. That was minimal and much better than the Bogen 3047 that I had on the tripod. I did get the friction to where it would move, but still hold without flopping over. When I mounted it with the lens mount, it appeared well balanced with no problems. Overall I am happy with a low cost ball head, but would not pay more than $60.00 + or - for it. If I really used a tripod/ball head set up a lot, I would certainly look into a high end unit. Perhaps an Acratech is in my future ;)

Most reactions

Back