So who buys Hasselblads anyways?

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering, is there any professional photographer that uses a digital Hasselblad? I've seen them advertised in some of the photo magazines I read, but who really buys those? All the pros I've seen use D3s, Canon Mk IIs or IIIs, D2xs, and sometimes the occasional D300. I have never really seen someone use a Hasselblad, but someome must be buying them for the company to be able to put ads im magazines.

What do Hasselblads do besides looking cool and having sensors with ridiculous amounts of Megapixels? I mean, thats hardly jusification for spending $25k+ on one.

Ultimate bragging rights :lol:

Sure, they are excellent cameras for studio work, particularly on products where detail and colour accuracy are extremely important. They are good for studio portraits as well, but too much detail is not always what you want, when flattering the subject is important. They can also be harder to work with in terms of speed versus the top Canon and Nikon cameras.

skieur

if I ever got a digital hassy I would put it in a vacume sealed box and never touch it

Lol. Does the extra IQ really justify spending that much?

Lol. Does the extra IQ really justify spending that much?

Well lets make up an example.

Client is Vanity Fair , they pay the still shooter 1000.00 per day. They need one new photographer.

You and Mr x are of the same skill level with decades of fashion photography behind you. Both a seasoned pro.

You use canon and Mr X has the best in Hassy. Well ~ its an edge up you.

Is it worth it to me at my skill level. NO.

There are plenty of pros who have been using Hassys for years and have some great lenses for them. It would make sense to use a digital body or even just a digital back in an existing body, so that they can continue to use the lenses.

sure, they're used in fashion photography as well... My wife loves "America's Next Top Model" or whatever it's called. Anyway, I'm almost positive the fashion photog there uses hassy.

Wow. In any case, quite expensive and large cameras. I think I would rather a D3 and a new car lol :p.

An example I use is.

Let's say that All camera's except a medium format digital / Hasselblad had no RAW feature.

Would you pay $30k to be able to shoot RAW?

Some people would say no, the majority of professionals I think would say yes.

$30k isn't that much these days business-wise, and at resolutions like that, it'd pay itself off eventually.

Not to mention, once technology upgrades, you can just replace the digital back on it, and you're up-to-date.

It's not just about IQ, it's about the window of possibility with which to improve / edit / adjust an image.

I would rather re-touch a crystal clear 32MP image than a 10MP image if I'm trying to blow it up for a billboard.

You may not need 32MP in a lot of shoots, but it's there if you need it, and it is that kind of attitude that sets you apart and supports your success in business.

Graphic Designers may use very little features of photoshop on a daily basis, you could possibly do all their work on cheaper software if not freeware. However it's the little often unnoticed features that make photoshop a necessity for anyone dealing in graphic design.

I guess the word I'm looking for is...versatility

I was slightly under the impression that Hassys, like Leicas, were more about bragging rights. I thought they had close to the same features as a D3 or a MK III, but that you were paying for the name.

A buddy of mine who is not a pro-photographer, he has a Hasselblad, the photo's he takes are impressive and the quality is remarkable, it's the image details that are mesmerizing. When I asked him if he had thought about going digital he said he could get the digital back (whatever that is) for about 10k (crazy!)....But he said he wouldn't do it because he could spot the difference in image quality and he simply liked film photography as it was a dying artform.

I keep begging him to let me borrow it or let me come over and play, LOL

I was slightly under the impression that Hassys, like Leicas, were more about bragging rights. I thought they had close to the same features as a D3 or a MK III, but that you were paying for the name.

That's pretty well not at all the case. It might be true to some extent of Lecias, although there is no doubt that there are things about a Leica that a Canon does not replicate, but in the case of the Hasselblads, if you need the camera you need the features the camera offers, then you have no choice but Hasselblad or other similar models.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back