So who buys Hasselblads anyways?

so a hassy is just the same as any other camera, but with more megapix? i dont think im correct. why is the body so different

Na, that's a 400mm f2.8L from Canon. The premier sports lens for virtually any field or track event. Sports is my main focus and lives every fall and spring on one of my bodies. It is my walk around lens during that time of the year.

Wow. I'm not really into sports because of my lack of interest, and it being quite expensive. Is that your hassey too?

Wow. I'm not really into sports because of my lack of interest, and it being quite expensive. Is that your hassey too?

Na the Hassey/400 f2.8 combo is impossible at this point in time. A photoshopped picture I created for a little humor for another post. The lens however is mine. I have no need for a Hassey. Medium format is not something I have done in years. My Pentax 6X7 and the lenses sit on a shelf gathering dust.

sure, they're used in fashion photography as well... My wife loves "America's Next Top Model" or whatever it's called. Anyway, I'm almost positive the fashion photog there uses hassy.

Yes most of them on ANTM use them.

Actually, the problem with MF cameras is that they're not weather-sealed, and their AF is very slow. They're no good at sports, and should really be in a studio, or at least a controlled environment.

Leica just introduced the S2, with a sensor from Phase One. It will be weather-sealed, but with only a single AF point. It's also not intended for sports, more for landscape and nature photography.

So I was half watching Jon and Kate plus 8 the other night, and in the episode they were getting family portraits done (obviouslly paid for by TLC/or donated) and the TEAM of photographers had a few Hasselblads and a white diffuser that looked to be the size of a trampoline. lol. Anyway I started looking on the photogs website and they charge as much for a portrait session as a lot of people charge for a wedding. Those are the people that use Hasslblads.

There was a wedding photographer at a DC/Baltimore/NOVA Strobist meetup that was using a Hassy with the digital "V" (iirc) back. The 16mp one.

so a hassy is just the same as any other camera...

Hasselblad made modular, medium format film SLRs. Pros liked them because they were well built and very reliable. They could be customized for used somewhat with different accessories, and they had removable film backs. Before digital we had to carry at least 2 backs: one for BW and one for color. Additional backs if we wanted to switch ISO in the middle of a roll, or see a Polaroid test shot (today it's berated as chimping, but pros have always looked at preview shots, they know it results in better photographs). They also used wonderful Zeiss lenses.

Other than that, yep, a Hassy is just like any other camera: a light tight box with lens, shutter, aperture, and light sensitive materials somewhere inside.

I owned and used a Hasselblad 500c/m for years. It was a great camera, but no better than the other professional quality, medium format cameras I owned and/or used: Pentax, Mamiya, Bronica, Rolleiflex, etc... I used mine exclusively for portraits and at weddings. It was usable hand held, but I preferred the Rollei or P67II for hand held shooting. Once I got a 5D, and it was clear to me that the image quality was similar if not better, I sold the Hassy in a heartbeat. It was a great tool, but it never found a place in my heart like the Rollei.

I have not used the new digital Hassys, but I assume they are similar: high quality, reliable build, customizable accessories and options, Zeiss lenses, and you can add the digital back of your choice with loads of megapixels. But they are still just cameras; the buttons may be different, but the important fundamentals are the same as any digital Rebel or K1000.

As to whether they are practical for professional use, that depends on what the use is. I'm sure they are wonderful for the intricately staged portraits of Annie Leibowitz. Some landscape photogs like them (mostly those who have someone or something carrying their gear). I doubt the late Galen Rowell would have chosen one to do his mountain climbing/landscape photography. I doubt many PJs or sports photogs would choose a Hassy over something smaller and more nimble, but as I said before there are folks using 4x5 Speed Graphics for PJ and sports so there are always exceptions.

I think of the standard film Hasselblads (the 500 C/M and SWC series) as being comparatively small, simple and light for medium format SLRs. The 6x6 SLRs I used were Rolleiflex SL 66s and Hasselblads, and there is quite a big difference in weight and size between those - the Hasselblads are much handier. The SWC is almost in a class of its own, if you like that sort of thing. I still have three SL 66 SEs (0.1% of the entire production run!) which I kept because they are more versatile than the Hasselblads, but for the times when all I want is a simple, light 6x6 for handholding I also prefer a Rolleiflex TLR.

Best,
Helen

The Mamiya 6x7 SLRs make the Hassys look pretty svelte too. When I see one I think "Why not just use 4x5 if you're going to haul a camera that large?"

As people have mentioned, Hasselblads (the modern digital ones) are mainly used in high-end fashion and commercial shoots. Having said that, I did once see a guy here in London just casually walking around with one on the weekend, taking snaps and enojying himself.

My Pentax 6X7 and the lenses sit on a shelf gathering dust.

Can I have them?

Basketball is the only sport that I can recall see MF cameras being used back in the film days, usually for remote mounts behind a glass backboard or post

I once saw a wedding photographer use a hassy digital, mind you it was well in to seven figures for the wedding...

Dave

Most reactions

New Topics

Back