So you want to use my picture for free?

The biggest problem I see on this forum is that we are dealing with a lot of photographers who do not make a living from photography.

The gear is paid by some other, way more profitable job. So that not really getting paid for a photo is no big deal. Great for you people.

Not so great for the true photographers.

Perhaps you really meant "full time" photographers? :confused-55:

can you be a "true" photographer and only work part time?
can you be a "professional" and work part time?
I hope you can...otherwise im going to have to tell my boss at the meeting tonight Im not a "true" flight medic because I only work there part time... funny though, my part-time paycheck clears the bank just as well as my full time check does.
and even funnier still, my part-part-part-semi occasional photography clients money seems to spend just as well too...

hmmm.....

can you be a "true" photographer and only work part time?

Photographer. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. Lol

can you be a "professional" and work part time?

Yes.. but you need a bowtie

I hope you can...otherwise im going to have to tell my boss at the meeting tonight Im not a "true" flight medic because I only work there part time... funny though, my part-time paycheck clears the bank just as well as my full time check does.
and even funnier still, my part-part-part-semi occasional photography clients money seems to spend just as well too...

hmmm.....

Weird. So they don't make you have like a separate account for all that fakey part time money?

You are all right, bad choice of word.

True meant pro. With certainly no meaning of the quality of the work as I agree with those who said that there are plenty of hobbyist who are better photographers.

Also, yes, I was exaggerating a bit the fact that $50 wasn't worth getting up for 30 years ago. Actually, some 35 years ago I lived on about $300 a month so, an extra 50 would have been nice but not, ever in the way described in the original post.

And yes, the business has changed a lot but I sure don't believe in "adapt or die". I think what is meant is "adapt AND die" because, as in a lot of other fields, the more people are willing to lower their rates (or prices) the more customers will want to see those rates go down. Until it's "adapt And die" or just get out.

And the fact that the photographer already had the shot doesn't fly with me either. Once upon a time that would have been called "stock photography". Do you know anyone making money from stock today? Well, once upon a time, stock was a way of making a very decent living. Today, I don't know anyone making a living from it, including some guy a few years back who had the largest stock library in the world, the largest number of sales, and made no profit whatsoever.

So, you don't have to like what I'm saying but, please, let's be real.

You are all right, bad choice of word.

True meant pro. With certainly no meaning of the quality of the work as I agree with those who said that there are plenty of hobbyist who are better photographers.

Also, yes, I was exaggerating a bit the fact that $50 wasn't worth getting up for 30 years ago. Actually, some 35 years ago I lived on about $300 a month so, an extra 50 would have been nice but not, ever in the way described in the original post.

And yes, the business has changed a lot but I sure don't believe in "adapt or die". I think what is meant is "adapt AND die" because, as in a lot of other fields, the more people are willing to lower their rates (or prices) the more customers will want to see those rates go down. Until it's "adapt And die" or just get out.

And the fact that the photographer already had the shot doesn't fly with me either. Once upon a time that would have been called "stock photography". Do you know anyone making money from stock today? Well, once upon a time, stock was a way of making a very decent living. Today, I don't know anyone making a living from it, including some guy a few years back who had the largest stock library in the world, the largest number of sales, and made no profit whatsoever.

So, you don't have to like what I'm saying but, please, let's be real.

so...
what your saying is, because nerwins photo is like "stock photography", which has tanked, his pictures are worthless and have no value?
just because stock photography is in the crapper doesnt mean that people still arent making money selling landscapes and artistic photos. and even if they werent, that still doesnt mean that nerwins photo has no value.
do you have a website that i could browse so you can send me photos for free with full commercial usage? or...would you charge me for your work? I assume you would not charge since you just said stock photography is dead so the pictures are worthless.

OP can charge whatever he wants for his images. That's his deal.

For a short run like this $50 is probably about right. We're not talking about a Samsung ad in TIME Magazine. The designer has to make money too.

This is why real designers go to royalty-free stock agencies, and not browse Flickr for some easy to flatter sucker.

I didn't want to make a big deal out of this, I just got fed up with these people contacting me asking to use my photos in this kind of way with out being compensated or at least credited for. Sure if it was something to do with awareness for leukemia which by the way a cousin of mine recently died from, I'd have no problems with them using it in however they please. If a picture of mine could help someones life, that's all the payment I need. But a wine event at a fancy expensive hotel and they couldn't afford to pay for my picture? Sounds sketchy honestly.

I get emails often asking if they can use my picture on their blog or website, I don't have a problem with that as long as they give me credit and link to my website or something. There is a local construction law firm in my town that uses one of my pictures as their website header. Check it out. Vermont Construction Law Attorneys | Chittenden County Construction Litigation Lawyers | Colchester VT Commercial Construction, Land Use And Zoning If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, the credit is there. I didn't charge them anything and this was a few years ago, didn't really know any better. Just thought it would be cool.

In 2011 my town got flooded really bad, it was probably 4-5 feet deep. A popular restaurant in town had most of their cooking equipment and expensive freezer destroyed. About $100k worth loss. The owner didn't have flood insurance. During renovations, the owner saw my picture on Flickr that he thought would look great in his restaurant and thought it was awesome that I was a local resident. He wanted a 40 x 60 canvas print of it. I thought big money. haha. But I realized he lost a lot of money and I didn't want money to become an issue with this deal. I really wanted my photo hanged in this restaurant as its very popular. He just wanted a TIFF file so he could get it printed himself. The best he could do was $50 and I ended up turning that down..told him to consider it as a gift in a way. He thanked me and said anytime I visit his restaurant while he's there, he'll give me VIP treatment..haha. He hanged it up with my name under it like at a gallery. Its pretty cool. I mean 40 x 60 is MASSIVE. You can't really miss it.

So about a year after that I got a email from a lady that was interested in getting a canvas print of that for her friend's wedding because her friend said it would look awesome in home. I'm like awesome, she wanted a 20 x 30 canvas, I got it printed and it came out amazing. I charged $350 and she was happy to pay for it and told me her friend was very happy with it. So by letting this restaurant owner have my picture for nothing actually ended up paying very well.

You just gotta take everything case by case. In this case with the invitation cards I felt that $50 was reasonable and they wanted it for free. I didn't agree with it, told them they didn't have my permission to use the picture so that they would feel bad when they steal my photo anyways, haha.

This was actually a really good conversation. Where was this stuff when I was in photography class? All we did was sit in front of a computer with the teacher using a projector...so boring. I learned more since I signed up here than I did in photography class.

The amount of time involved in finding a photo that will work with a project is pretty significant. I can't imagine then having to sit around and wait for permission. I doubt in the end it's really paying off.

so...
what your saying is, because nerwins photo is like "stock photography", which has tanked, his pictures are worthless and have no value?
just because stock photography is in the crapper doesnt mean that people still arent making money selling landscapes and artistic photos. and even if they werent, that still doesnt mean that nerwins photo has no value.
do you have a website that i could browse so you can send me photos for free with full commercial usage? or...would you charge me for your work? I assume you would not charge since you just said stock photography is dead so the pictures are worthless.

So...

you're a staff member? Wow. Really?

If becoming a staff member here is like getting into the police...

Google

I understand your response better.

1/ Maybe you should learn to read so you could understand what I said better.

2/ Maybe you should take the time to read my different posts, especially my intoduction, which would have helped you not say something totally stupid.

3/ Maybe you should learn about stock photography before talking about it. "artistic photos" have never been the mainstay of stock.

Well I feel so much better knowing we have YOU keeping the sanity going here.

Actually, Jason's a good guy, maybe you should try getting to know him better; you could have differing opinions on a topic and agree to disagree.

I think that providing a photo or taking photos for free for a charity is fine, and I've had that happen too, one thing can lead to another opportunity. But for a business, I'd expect to get a contract paying the going rate for commercial use - if they wouldn't do that, passing it up was probably the best thing to do.

so...

So...

you're a staff member? Wow. Really?

If becoming a staff member here is like getting into the police...

Google

I understand your response better.

1/ Maybe you should learn to read so you could understand what I said better.

2/ Maybe you should take the time to read my different posts, especially my intoduction, which would have helped you not say something totally stupid.

3/ Maybe you should learn about stock photography before talking about it. "artistic photos" have never been the mainstay of stock.

Well I feel so much better knowing we have YOU keeping the sanity going here.

1: literary comprehension is obviously not your strong suit either bub.
2: see #1
3: you brought up stock photography in relation to the OP's picture. which doesn't entirely relate. the OP isnt trying to break into stock photography. he was just trying to put a price on one picture.

good job resorting to personal insults though.
+10 internet points for you i guess.

Robbins.Photo for the WIN!

"Photographer. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. Lol"

Now I must go home and watch The Princess Bride. So while that is a great quote, my favorite is: "My way's not very sportsmen like."

Id rather have my name on a card and no money, than no name on a card and no money.

using tapatalk.

I didn't want to make a big deal out of this,

Too late. Lol.

I just got fed up with these people contacting me asking to use my photos in this kind of way with out being compensated or at least credited for. Sure if it was something to do with awareness for leukemia which by the way a cousin of mine recently died from, I'd have no problems with them using it in however they please. If a picture of mine could help someones life, that's all the payment I need. But a wine event at a fancy expensive hotel and they couldn't afford to pay for my picture? Sounds sketchy honestly.

Agreed.

I get emails often asking if they can use my picture on their blog or website, I don't have a problem with that as long as they give me credit and link to my website or something. There is a local construction law firm in my town that uses one of my pictures as their website header. Check it out. Vermont Construction Law Attorneys | Chittenden County Construction Litigation Lawyers | Colchester VT Commercial Construction, Land Use And Zoning If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, the credit is there. I didn't charge them anything and this was a few years ago, didn't really know any better. Just thought it would be cool.

I've had a few websites that have contacted me for similar reasons, mostly for gorilla pics. There all non-profits so I just say sure, enjoy.

Robbins.Photo for the WIN!

"Photographer. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. Lol"

Now I must go home and watch The Princess Bride. So while that is a great quote, my favorite is: "My way's not very sportsmen like."

Lol.. love that movie.

I'm on the Brute Squad.
You *are* the Brute Squad!

Most reactions

Back