Soft images @ 100% crop?

sparrowblue

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay, so... Not all, but I feel enough (about 20%) of my images are soft at 100%. Is this my error (using good lenses and a tripod), or should I just stop viewing my images at 100%? :confused:

I dunno if this is my perfectionist tendencies creeping up, or if I am screwing up.

Photos are not blurry, just soft. And sharpening them doesn't make them look super crisp.

I am shooting in RAW, and do all my sharpening post processing though...

Anyway, any tips are greatly appreciated.

**edit**
Plus, my camera is slowing waaay down lately... Does cold weather chill the functionality of the camera? It was icy out on site this AM, and my camera would not fire for anything. Please tell me my beloved DSLR was just cold and not breaking.

Last edited:
:addpics:

if you post some we can see what you mean by soft, but yes @ 100% they will be soft. hand warmers help to keep your camera warm (battery)

Images should be very sharp at 100% in my opinion. So the answer is not just settle for soft images and not viewing them at 100%. But yes, we need examples posted and more info about your equipment than just 'good lenses and a tripod'.

ok maybe not soft - guess I mean pixilated @ 100% zoom or did you mean full screen.

To answer you second question, yes It was probably to cold for your camera, I don't remember of the top of my head, but there are some cameras that are only rated to 32ºF or so. I have used My cameras in 5º weather, and the batteries were gone quick. Most electronics will have issues in cold temp. Try keeping your camera close to your body when not shooting, or inside your jacket.

As mentioned the cold will effect your batteries. They will seem to run low on power much faster.

Placing a cold battery inside your jacket next to your body until it warms back up will rejuvenate it till it gets cold again.

Most electronics have few or no issues in cold weather. I have images made using a Nikon D90 outside in temperatures as low as -15°F, without the camera or lens being kept inside my jacket.

When a cold object is put in a warm environment, like putting a cold camera inside you jacket, any humidity in the air will condense into liquid water.
If the camera is then re-introduced to air temperatures below freezing, that condensation will freeze possibly making your camera inoperative till the frozen condensation thaws and has had time to evaporate.

Keep your battery warm inside your jacket, but leave the camera out in the cold.

As mentioned the cold will effect your batteries. They will seem to run low on power much faster.

Placing a cold battery inside your jacket next to your body until it warms back up will rejuvenate it till it gets cold again.

Most electronics have few or no issues in cold weather. I have images made using a Nikon D90 outside in temperatures as low as -15°F, without the camera or lens being kept inside my jacket.

When a cold object is put in a warm environment, like putting a cold camera inside you jacket, any humidity in the air will condense into liquid water.
If the camera is then re-introduced to air temperatures below freezing, that condensation will freeze possibly making your camera inoperative till the frozen condensation thaws and has had time to evaporate.

Keep your battery warm inside your jacket, but leave the camera out in the cold.

Gorgeous advice. Thank you kindly.

Images should be very sharp at 100% in my opinion. So the answer is not just settle for soft images and not viewing them at 100%. But yes, we need examples posted and more info about your equipment than just 'good lenses and a tripod'.

Sorry, I was rushing when posting. :lol:
My equipment... My camera is the least impressive, haha. I have a Rebel XS. Tripod is Manfrotto, 0x55PROB with the 804RC2 head.
Lenses include... Canon 50mm, f/1.2, 28mm, f/1.8, and 100mm f/2.8 macro.

Sorry, I was rushing when posting. :lol:
My equipment... My camera is the least impressive, haha. I have a Rebel XS. Tripod is Manfrotto, 0x55PROB with the 804RC2 head.
Lenses include... Canon 50mm, f/1.2, 28mm, f/1.8, and 100mm f/2.8 macro.

When I read that the lenses used are with low f stops, i thought of sharing the post i started yestreday with the title "Canon 50mm 1.4 sharpness weakness? (plz comment)"

I had the same concern and got some good comments about the images are softer at lower f stops.. Also i have posted the resluts with 100% crop at various f stops..

So if the soft images are f1.4 or so.. please refer to the thread above and check it out if it is the same results.. I would like to know if it is not only my lens getting those soft images..

Thanks

>..Tripod is Manfrotto...<

Well, if you are using a tripod, are you using a cable release also? If you do not use a cable release, it negates much of the benefit of the tripod. Try the f-stop two stops up from wide open, like f/5.6, maybe f/8.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back