some help with reverse lens macro aperture control...

angelo_lightning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have decided that I am going to buy a cheap 18-55 kit lens, put a reverse adapter on it, and use it as a dedicated macro. Its cheaper than a macro lens and the magnification is greater.

Is there some kind of adapter or object I can buy that will give me manual control of the aperture?

What brand of lens are you reversing?

nikon. If I have to I'll jam a q-tip stick in there. It just feels sketchy

Dave442 said:
On a Nikon, painters tape.

Yeah...painter's tape...the blue kind looks pretty sexy. So,so much cooler-looking than the old-fashioned taupe colored tape...that's, "Your father's painter's tape"--so unless you wanna' look like an old man, use the blue kind. Definitely the blue kind.

Dave442 said:
On a Nikon, painters tape.

Yeah...painter's tape...the blue kind looks pretty sexy. So,so much cooler-looking than the old-fashioned taupe colored tape...that's, "Your father's painter's tape"--so unless you wanna' look like an old man, use the blue kind. Definitely the blue kind.
Derrel, UPS called. They will deliver that case of taupe colored painters tape that you ordered to you tomorrow. No signatue is needed so they will just leave it on the front step and ring the bell. :laughing:

gryphonslair99 said:
Derrel, UPS called. They will deliver that case of taupe colored painters tape that you ordered to you tomorrow. No signatue is needed so they will just leave it on the front step and ring the bell. :laughing:

Woo-hoo! F*** Yeah!!!

You can do close-up either with "close-up filters" (really close-up magnification diopters that screw on to the front of a regular lens) or you can use "extension tubes" and both of these are very low cost options compared to purchasing another lens.

Novoflex makes a "reversing adapter" but so far as I can tell it is only made in a Canon EOS version. This is a ring that attaches to the camera body like a lens.... has a curly cord on it, and another ring on the opposite end of the cord. You attach to the first ring to the camera body, then screw the lens onto the reversing ring, then snap the 2nd ring to the opposite end of your reversed lens. The cord passes all the electronic signals through to the lens so that the camera can actually control the aperture.

And how much does one pay for this little gadget? € 300! (which makes one wonder if they wouldn't rather just buy a dedicated macro lens.)

See: Novoflex - Reverse Adapter EOS-RETRO

Most reactions

New Topics

Back