Some portraits of Laura

Restomage

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Came out pretty good, used a black backdrop. Some pics contained two main lights and a hair light, some others with just one mainlight, should be pretty obvious which is which.

Anyway please let me know what you think, I'm open for C&C, I wasn't even expecting to do this shoot until the last minute.

4277750129_7e9d4e8a23_b.jpg

4278496818_9f21e1537b_b.jpg

3 (no that's not me, that was the make-up/hair guy)
4277749907_179d48f462_b.jpg

4278497402_2b8746a3d8_b.jpg

4277750797_f3bb3953fb_b.jpg

4277750669_7440e88cb1_b.jpg

I think the first few poses are nice. I am not a fan of her holding 'live' or with the cupcake--they don't seem to come off right. The flower shot also need a more lively flower, this one looks a little wilted and somber in tone, and doesn't provide enough contrast from her busy outfit; it sort of blends too much imo. I think the hair lights are too strong and they are blowing out her hair. Also the stray hairs caught in the hair light's beam need to be taken out. Because they are light so bright they are making her hair look messy.

I like #1 the best if the stray hairs were worked on a little bit. Oh, and the shot with the couple, I think he is grabbing her too strongly. It would work if they were both topless and sweaty but the strong grasp looks too aggressive for a loving couples portrait.

Her outfit is very distracting. Her face, make-up, eyebrows, hair, skin, everything about this woman is extremely natural and soft, but her shirt is extremely gaudy and very unflattering.

The photography is extremely good. I dont know who chose the outfit. Its just this model looks like a "guess" sort of model (long hair, thin, thick eye brows)

But, as stated before, lighting, photography, the picture itself looks very professional.

I agree the shirt doesnt seem like it fits with how she looks. The hair light looks to be a bit much in 4 & 5 though I'm still learning so I could be wrong. I really like the photography it looks great, keep up the good work!

When a hair light trans-illuminates somebody's ear the way it does the man's ear in shot three, you know the hair light is too strong.

Definitely some good aspects here, well done.
But certainly some room for improvement.

I agree about the shirt, it's a bit distracting.
Her hair is pretty messy looking, which really shows up with the strong back/hair light. If that's what you want, that's fine but I'm not loving it.
I certainly do think that the hair light is too strong. It does come around and hit her face in #5, which isn't want you want from a hair light.
Also, it tends to look unnatural when the main light and the hair light are on opposite sides of the model. To look more natural (like sunlight) you should put the hair light on the same side as you key light and use fill on the other side to light the hair. Or if you are going to put another hair/accent light on opposite side, dial it down.

the makeup/hair guy looks a lot more natural than the girl, she looks very awkward.

the makeup/hair guy looks a lot more natural than the girl, she looks very awkward.

but as far the pictures....I like them. Not a big fan of the hair/rim light. One of them it bleeds through his ears. You can change the angle and distance of the flash and use a flag to get the same effect.

Nice Catchlights too. :thumbup:

Last edited:
i love the first two, especially the lighting in the 2nd... they go downhill for me afterwards... i don't like her poses or props in any of the rest of them. her pose in #3 would be alright but that guy doesn't match her expression at all, so it doesn't work for me. #4 on down her expression starts to look a little trashy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back