Some Shots Inspired by Avedon-C&C

Alexv1038

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I went to the Richard Avedon exhibit at SF MOMA a while back, and was inspired to try my hanb at some minimalist b/w portraits. Here is what I ended up with after a few weeks.

C&C encouraged!

4796980826_72e05c316e_b.jpg

Vic_by_AugustStudios.jpg

4796970066_d22c8b7bec_b.jpg

4796968544_66324f0644_b.jpg

This one isn't really in the same style, but it sort of looks like a shot of Avedon that was in the exhibit.

4796352997_2ce919b4d6_b.jpg

Yes, I see the "In the American West" thing. I have the book because I loved the show. But your version is not quite as good and I think it is mostly because you are making it harder on yourself.

From looking at Avedon's photos, I would say he set up like some basic photo booth. Plain background (you have that but, in #5, your subject is either to close to it or you changed your settings so that details of the background are actually showing); fairly even light always in the same place (yours seems to change from shot to shot. The first one's light from below is rarely appealing except for special effects. The last one, there is not enough light coming from the front.)

Not quite successful but a good try. 2, 3 and 4 are pretty good as single shots. 1 and 5 have lighting problems and are not so interesting. But a good exercise no matter what. Keep shooting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back