Someone asked me to shoot their wedding....

photosanity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.heatherelainephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been taking photographs for almost 10 years now. But never have I taken photos of someone's wedding. I currently have a Panasonic Lumix GF1 with the 20mm f/1.7 lens. I know this will not be the right lens for this type of shooting. I was thinking about getting the Panasonic 45-200mm f/4.0-5.6. And before anyone starts to bashing that this camera can't do wedding shots (that has been said before on flickr GF1 groups) - check out my flickr lol. I have seen this camera take some great photos that I never thought it would have been able to. From portraits and cars to night and landscape photography. Impressive camera. Yes, I know it may not look professional - but I am shooting for a friend.

Anyway.. questions are: what type of lens should I get for wedding photography? Will the 45-200mm be sufficient? Also, how much do you think I should charge? Photographers here in Southwest Georgia overprice themselves. I have seen photographers here that take ****ty photos charge almost $5,000 for wedding photos. I can't believe they get away with it either. :confused:

Thanks guys!

If you have never done a wedding and are doing it for a friend, I wouldn't think you should charge at all. You seem to be under equipped for this type of gig, and what to charge is probably not one of your primary concerns. I would think of it more as a wedding present, but keep in mind, agreeing to shoot a friends wedding has ruined a lot of friendships.

In any case, the lens you are talking about is a very slow lens for conditions like most weddings. It's definitely not ideal, and without a flash and/or tripod, will probably be unusable. What kind of flash equipment do you have?

Generally, a wedding requires two camera bodies, back up batteries, extra memory cards, flashes for both bodies, an external studio flash, a 24-70 2.8 / 70-200 2.8(or equivalent), a macro lens, and a lot of experience.

Last edited:
One approach;
Body 1: 16-35mm FF equiv
Body 2: 70-200mm FF equiv

Because it's a wedding you typically want to have redundancy. What if you memory card fails, what if you battery didn't charge properly or explodes, what if your camera fails...
Also, f/4-5.6 is fairly slow on that sort of sensor for inside when you probably wouldn't want to be popping off your flash all the time...

Absolutely honest response, stop reading here if you are unsure.

If you don't know why a Lumix and the 45-200 would not be good for a wedding, you aren't ready to shoot a wedding.

I've looked at your 'people' shots and, while they aren't horrible, it is clear you haven't much experience about PPing or framing people.
The fact that you are willing to take pictures of your friend's wedding, a once in a lifetime event - with your level of experience and equipment and charge for it is almost flabbergasting.

If you have never done a wedding and are doing it for a friend, I wouldn't think you should charge at all. You seem to be under equipped for this type of gig, and what to charge is probably not one of your primary concerns. I would think of it more as a wedding present, but keep in mind, agreeing to shoot a friends wedding has ruined a lot of friendships.

In any case, the lens you are talking about is a very slow lens for conditions like most weddings. It's definitely not ideal, and without a flash and/or tripod, will probably be unusable. What kind of flash equipment do you have?

Generally, a wedding requires two camera bodies, back up batteries, extra memory cards, flashes for both bodies, an external studio flash, a 24-70 2.8 / 70-200 2.8(or equivalent), a macro lens, and a lot of experience.

She is more of an acquaintance, so if it happened to ruin that.. we wouldn't really be losing anything lol. I don't mind NOT charging either since it is my first time shooting a wedding. Maybe I can say, hey hire a photographer who has the equipment and I'll ask if I can go just to shoot and practice for free? Since I won't have an opportunity like that with a total stranger. I don't have a flash yet, but was looking at the Panasonic DMW-FL360 or 500. I used to have a Canon 430EX II when I had my 60D, but had to sell it.

As far as having two camera bodies AND a macro lens... can't afford it. My question is how can I get experience with weddings if I never try shooting them? Just taking more photos of people, couples, etc?

One approach;
Body 1: 16-35mm FF equiv
Body 2: 70-200mm FF equiv

Because it's a wedding you typically want to have redundancy. What if you memory card fails, what if you battery didn't charge properly or explodes, what if your camera fails...
Also, f/4-5.6 is fairly slow on that sort of sensor for inside when you probably wouldn't want to be popping off your flash all the time...

Thanks for the suggestions. I know f/4.0-5.6, but I don't have many options with the GF1. There is the Leica 45mm (90mm 35mm format) f/2.8, but it is a fixed lens. It is also $800. The widest aperture for the zoom lenses available is f/3.5. These are the lenses I can get for my camera. If you think I am limited with my options, I'll just tell her to hire a photographer who has the equipment because I know I certainly can't afford to spend $1,000 on a lens...

Absolutely honest response, stop reading here if you are unsure.

If you don't know why a Lumix and the 45-200 would not be good for a wedding, you aren't ready to shoot a wedding.

I've looked at your 'people' shots and, while they aren't horrible, it is clear you haven't much experience about PPing or framing people.
The fact that you are willing to take pictures of your friend's wedding, a once in a lifetime event - with your level of experience and equipment and charge for it is almost flabbergasting.

Thank you for your honest opinion. I've never shot a wedding before, so while I think my camera with the appropriate lenses could have potential - I wouldn't know until I found out. Trust me, I used to have a Canon 60D - but there were so many lenses I wanted I couldn't afford and I just said f#@$ it and went back to compact. I had no intention of shooting people anymore, but she asked.. so I wanted some opinions on here. Like I said above, maybe I could tell her to hire a photographer who has the appropriate equipment and also allow me to take photos just so I can experience what I would have to go through if I had to take photos of someone's wedding. To know if this is something I may want to do in the future once I have more time and money to shoot weddings.

But yes, thank you for your honesty. :)

The way to get experience shooting weddings would be as a second shooter. That way if you miss a shot or two its covered by the main photographer and it isn't a problem.

Lenses are fairly limited for u4/3 unless you start using adapters for other lenses. I did think there would be a fast zoom or two by now though. Give it a couple of years...

My question is how can I get experience with weddings if I never try shooting them? Just taking more photos of people, couples, etc?

I think the main point is, you don't take a once in a lifetime type of experience, like a wedding, to get experience shooting a wedding. IMO, you should decline to shoot the wedding, go as a guest, and get some fun shots that the main photographer cannot get because he is off shooting other things.

You could also try to get on with a local pro assisting them. Schlepping bags, setting up lights, whatever is needed. That way, you can see what it's like and find out if it really is something you want to get into and if you want to spend the money to equip yourself properly.

The way to get experience shooting weddings would be as a second shooter. That way if you miss a shot or two its covered by the main photographer and it isn't a problem.

Lenses are fairly limited for u4/3 unless you start using adapters for other lenses. I did think there would be a fast zoom or two by now though. Give it a couple of years...

Yeah, I think that is what I am going to tell her. I'm just not equipped for this. :confused:

I have looked at the using an adapter scenario.. can't afford that either. :(

I think the main point is, you don't take a once in a lifetime type of experience, like a wedding, to get experience shooting a wedding. IMO, you should decline to shoot the wedding, go as a guest, and get some fun shots that the main photographer cannot get because he is off shooting other things.

You could also try to get on with a local pro assisting them. Schlepping bags, setting up lights, whatever is needed. That way, you can see what it's like and find out if it really is something you want to get into and if you want to spend the money to equip yourself properly.

Yeah, very true. I didn't have a formal wedding and I'm not the typical girl either. I'd much rather spend the money on the honeymoon LOL. But yeah, I know for mostly every woman.. they want their wedding photos to be PERFECT. I don't think I can promise that yet.

That's actually not a bad idea at all. I know two local pros who do fashion photography, but not wedding. Will have to do a little more research. Thanks! :)

As far as having two camera bodies AND a macro lens... can't afford it. My question is how can I get experience with weddings if I never try shooting them? Just taking more photos of people, couples, etc?

Yes. Shoot thousands of pictures until you know you can get the shot, until the use of the cameras is automatic. Shoot with a wedding photographer as a second shooter. Shoot until you can get enough equipment so that you know you won't be cheating your client.

I'll just tell her to hire a photographer who has the equipment because I know I certainly can't afford to spend $1,000 on a lens...

Good plan. Best of luck.

I think the plan of being a second shooter is a good one. No pressure, and you can get some practice in.

Heather,

I think you have a really good attitude, eager and ready to try things but willing to listen to advice.

If you ever want someone to look at your pictures, just PM me and I'd be happy to say what I can. My guess is that any of the others who responded to this thread got the same good impression of you.

Best regards,

Lew

Run away as fast as you can.

Folks here are giving you some good advice. However, some things need a lot of experience, equipment and people handling skills that usually take awhile to develop.

Wedding photographers have my respect (even when only so so, as it is a very tough position to be in with little regard from the client). Tons of ugly stories to be found every where about wedding issues.

I did three in the 60's and only as a "friend", and vowed never again.

Well... If you have been shooting for 10 Years, you should know what you need. Seriously, doesnt matter what you have been shooting in the past 10 years, you will know what you need to shoot a wedding.

Heather,
I think you need to equip yourself. There was not a single photograph on your website that was not gorgeous. I wish you could find someone who has done a wedding and work with them on this project. I'm sure you would really enjoy it and you have the talent to pull it off. At least working side by side with a pro you could learn without being fearful of the failure part.

Best of luck on whatever you decide,
Jess

Most reactions

Back