Sony A350, A300, or Nikon D60

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by pontgta, Nov 21, 2008.

1. pontgta

pontgta TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Let me start by saying i am a NOOOb to DSLR. I have been using a point and shoot, but can not stand the Lag anymore. What i want is a camera that take picutures like my point and shoot(sony dsc p10)...i know old camera. I would also want a lens that will work for most situations. I just plan to take pictures for vacations, birthdays,and etc.

Now i can get the
    Sony
    Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Digital Camera Body with 18-70mm & 55-200mm Lens Kit
    for $639

The A350k with 18-70mm lens
    For $644

I even thought about the
    Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Digital Camera Body with 18-70mm & 55-200mm Lens Kit

for $794

or the Nikon
    Nikon D60 w/18-55mm VR & 55-200mm VR Lenses Kit

For $690

Which is the better deal?

2. im_trying11

im_trying11 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    since your going to use this for family, friends ect. i would go hold them and see what is more comfortable. they are all close in features

3. pontgta

pontgta TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Is the A350 with the 2 lens kit worth the extra $160. I see the only major difference is that it is a 14.2 mp.

4. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    2 kit lenses or 1 quality lens... I would *always* choose quality over quantity. I generally stay away from kit lenses. They are cheap for a reason... low optical quality and slow (small apertures of F/3 or numerically higher and most often not constant apertures... meaning the more you zoom... the smaller the aperture becomes).

This doesn't mean that you cannot get acceptable pictures, it just means that pictures done on a better quality and faster lens will always come out better and you will be able to use them in conditions where the other lenses would be useless (ie: low or poorer quality lit environments).

5. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have the A350 but I did not buy any kit lenses. To answer your question directly Sony kit lenses are considered better quality than the kit lenses for Canon, for example. That would mean that they are in between the quality of most kit lenses and lenses bought separately.

At $160, that is quite inexpensive. I paid $500 for one lens and $800 for another. I did that because the A350 at 14.2 mp can take advantage of high quality lenses.

skieur