Sony DSLR-A65 and A77

Did you just arrive on this planet? Sony has been hyping these along with the 24mp NEX-7 for a long ass time now trying to boost their launch sales numbers. Impressive cameras by all means, but no FF release? Even more pitiful is Nikon's release of, yet again, a whole slew of crappy consumer p&s. I'm really beginning to hate digital...

Try sonyalpharumors.com for some updated info.

I have been on this planet for a while ... (I think since birth).
I thought I would post this for those that have not been watching sonyalpharumors.com (or aware of information on the new cameras, including the NEX).

I think Sony wants to get a feel for the reactions to the 6+7 models, before making a full frame SLT.

Ah, note that package is with a 16-50mm f/2.8 lens that sells for $700.00.

Body is only $1400 MSRP ... though I was expecting about $1200.

The A65 is only $900

I love my A55.....getting one of the ownuser grips for it....gonna stick with this one for now....love the 10fps....just love it

My wife and I find the A55 a great camera also ... though there are some physical aspects of the A77 that I would like (ie two control dials, taller body, weather sealed ...) but I don't want to drop more than $1000 for it ... too bad they did not put both control dials on the A65.

I was looking at those grips ... but I could not justify paying that much for a shutter button and battery holder.
If it was $50.00, I would grab one.

Just wanted something more to hang onto......the extra battery holder is nice if your out walking , i dont like to have stuff in my pockets....lol

We went out Dove hunting this morn and I took the camera.....got some really cool pics of the dove flying....10 fps really catches alot.

What do you think of using an electronic viewfinder?

Im loving the EVF.......it has great color and works great.....also just got the grip today and love it.....feels like a different camera

What do you think of using an electronic viewfinder?

I have been using cameras with a pentaprism for a couple of decades now ... when I switched from a Canon new F-1 with the AE head to an APS-C Sony DSL I was surprised by how small the viewfinder was. I thought it was just this camera, then I learned that this is common for APS-C. When I got the A55 I was surprised again as the view as as large as my old film camera.
Initially I was aware of the EVF ... after a day of usage I have forgotten that it is an EVF. The only time that it really makes itself known is under lower lighting. The best thing that I find with an EVF is seeing the changes to exposure in the viewfinder (as opposed to the rear LCD) ... makes for faster shooting.

I returned a sony A65 and tried a cannon 60D to compare, and i miss the quick shooting and being able to shoot from live view at the same speed! the cannon live view is a joke in my opinion only uses one focus point and it's slooooow. I take alot of dog pictures and motor sport.
I love the quality of the pictures but i think i might go for the sony and return the 60D.

I returned a sony A65 and tried a cannon 60D to compare, and i miss the quick shooting and being able to shoot from live view at the same speed! the cannon live view is a joke in my opinion only uses one focus point and it's slooooow. I take alot of dog pictures and motor sport.
I love the quality of the pictures but i think i might go for the sony and return the 60D.

What made you return the A65 ?

Nothing other than curiosity to try the cannon. I've always had cannons but, the sony does better for the price range. I'm no pro and the sonys speed and focus works great with my dog.

Using Live View for focusing on a non-SLT camera is basically designed for fine tuning manual focus... Not for tracking fast action. Which is where SLT cameras have an edge, if you like live view a lot. The reason that it only uses one focus point is because when the mirror is down in live view, it can only use contrast detect AF. This is the same for all DSLR's. When the mirror is up and you're using the viewfinder, you can use the 9-cross type focus points which are the most accurate and fast when it comes to focus acquisition.

If you want to use live view all the time, than a DSLR isn't really what you're after. You'd want a consumer grade SLT like the A65, so that seems like it would work better for you overall.

If you were going to shoot fast motor sports, you'd want to use the OVF on a DSLR which will keep up with the action better than an EVF... Especially in low light. Because there's no refresh rate in an Optical Viewfinder.

Canon's live view is the best when it comes to actual DSLR's. Sony's is the best when it comes to SLT's, no denying that. You have to understand that they are fundamentally different and work in very different ways.

I'm sure you'll get some nice motor sports shots during the day though, I'm glad you found which camera was right for your needs! Keep shooting! :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back