Soon a certain function on your camera will be obselete.

One owner of the new light bulbs had one burst in his daughter's bedroom. It's cost him $2,000 for the toxic (mercury) cleanup so far. I own several of the bulbs and have already replaced three. They don't save you money if they don't last and don't poison the environment when they break!

It's another issue entirely that the government wants to tell us what to light our homes with, what to drive, what to eat. I'm for freedom...

Your right. The entire country should... but we're gonna bicker about this war for a few more months.

Well, not only are they supposed to last longer, but they use less energy, costing you less on a daily basis per bulb.

I am not going to argue local politics with a person that is 3,000 miles away for no rational reason or purpose other than to argue.

Goodnight.
Gary

I guess I wasn't the only one impressed by Kyle's knowledge of California's politics.:lol:

But really, the rest of the US should follow Cali's lead. The bulb should go and people, whether they have AIDS or ADHD, should be able to smoke whatever they like.

My wife's company recently did a fairly detailed comparison of efficiency of CFL's vs Incandecent lamps taking into account production cost, disposal mercury output of coal-fired plants vs mercury in CFL's and found that CFL's really are more efficient and have a smaller environmental footprint. That said, if they ban the incandecents, I'll stock up on cases before they do for one very, very simple reason...
Dimmers. You can't dim the things. Of course they'll also have to deal with the fact that I have lamps with at least 3 different base sizes in my home. (Also, my sweet lava lamp wouldn't work with a CFL in it, even if it did fit.)

I also reserve the right to punch in the face anyone who drives a vehicle that gets less than 20MPG who tries to tell me what light bulbs I should be using.

Advancements my dear Watson!

The newest CFL bulbs CAN dim, but are usually sold a dollar more or so!

Advancements my dear Watson!

The newest CFL bulbs CAN dim, but are usually sold a dollar more or so!

And what about the toxic waste if broken per RSVsforfun post??? How toxic is it ... or would I get a higher dose of mercury every time I suck in some sushi?

there is a direct print button on my camera .... I never got that joke ...

Seriously... soon it seems the Tungesten White Balance mode may be ancient history:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070425/sc_nm/lightbulbs_env_dc

It seems Canada, along with Australia and California are going to ban Tunsgten style bulbs in favor of the new compact florescent.

So, are we going to see an increase in various white balances for various color spectrums of florescent bulbs?

Oh and how many of us are going to save like 40 bulbs in a basement somewhere just because they'll be banned and we can show the kiddies how we used to do it, raise your hand? *raises hand*

Dang... I was hoping it would be that Direct Print button. Then there's be a spot for a dedicated mirror lock-up button! I'd have to agree that camera manufacturers will have to take light situation this into account on future models.

We're pretty much on all fluorescent in this household, so we're ready to watch these bulbs go the way of the dinosaur. Nice step towards energy conservation I guess. I'd love to see people take these little initiatives on their own though, rather than them being forced on us.

Oh yeah, *raises hand* :)

ok so I lied, I'm not done.

I am all for enacting laws to help change the state of things, what I dont like is when states blatantly disregard federal law, and I am paying for it. The reason we pay federal taxes is because we can change things on a federal level through our local government, particularly senators and house leaders. So when the Federal government enacts a law, if you dont like it you lobby to change it. California on the other hand just ignores it.

Now I promise, I wont be back here.

HAHA this country is california, yeah u can count some eastern states and the west coast the rest is just lucky enough to be along for the ride.

This article is about household tungsten bulbs (approx 2800K), which isn't what the tungsten wb setting is balanced for. The tungsten setting is balanced for tungsten photoflood bulbs (3200K and 3400K), which are specialized equipment for photographers. If you use tungsten photofloods in typical household lamps your house is going to burn down.

...And we're keeping the First Marine Division at Camp Pendelton ... they're ours too ... lol

I wouldn't bet on it. This member of the Old Breed (1MarDiv) wouldn't have any of that, and I doubt you would fine many members of 1st Mar who were not native to CA who would cotton to that, either.

I spent 10 years in CA. Enjoyed it for the most part. Aren't many places in the world where you can ski in the morning and surf in the evening. But I wasn't too crazy about the cost of living or the pirate taxes. there were usually three hands in my pockets at any one time.

My only experience with tungsten is shooting outdoor sports at night. About 3 years ago tried using the tungsten WB in JPG mode at night baseball games at the University of Miami it seem to work well. Two years ago they started a major upgrading to the stadium. Well the new lights have a pulse that show up when sequencing. Some of frames are well exposed and other seem a few stop underexposed. So I started shooting sports in RAW at night and end up using RAW at daytime too. From a workflow perspective shooting sequence sport in RAW is nothing less that stupid. But I do if.

the 1V HS wasnt the first camera to shoot 10fps either actually... Canons 1nRS with its pellicle mirror shoots 10fps with barely a whisper... no mirror slap going on...

And neither was the 1nRS... Remember the F1 with high speed motor? 14fps. its pretty rare though...

Most reactions

Back