SplittsVille | Wood-Splitter | Thanksgiving Day

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My father and I spent most of the morning and afternoon splitting wood... This isn't even half of it!

Nikon D800
Tamron 70-200 2.8VC
Nikon SB600 camera right on gloves in 34" umbrella
Nikon SB600 on split wood
Nikon SB700 w/ strip light behind wood aimed at the splitter

Splittsville by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jake

At least it looks like you have a machine to do it but I'm sure it's still a heck of a lot of work!

That's cheating. :D

A few years ago I had a bunch of blackjack oak. Hitting it with an axe or maul with a splitter was like slamming into steel. I broke down and got a 30-ton splitter and I was amazed when it bogged down more than once. Never would've done it the old-fashioned way.

Definitely still a lot of work. I was worn out by the time I was done. Of course working solo didn't help.

I like the pic...except for the glove. :)

What are you doing in post? This looks like the same filter that was used with the chutney shot.
It's a matter of taste of course, but I'm not a fan of it.

I used to live in a great apartment on a Christmas tree farm in CT. Had an awesome wood stove.
All this wood makes me miss it. :(

What are you doing in post? This looks like the same filter that was used with the chutney shot.
It's a matter of taste of course, but I'm not a fan of it.

I used to live in a great apartment on a Christmas tree farm in CT. Had an awesome wood stove.
All this wood makes me miss it. :(

It's a vintage/retro processing with some coloring of the shadows and highlights. Still trying to tweak it to taste and figure out the best possible presentation.

Jake

So the coloring is off on purpose. O.K., but frankly, if you are trying to reconstruct an antique photograph, the hydraulic splitter throws it off by introducing a modern machine in the antique type of photograph.

So the coloring is off on purpose. O.K., but frankly, if you are trying to reconstruct an antique photograph, the hydraulic splitter throws it off by introducing a modern machine in the antique type of photograph.
Oh no, not trying to create an antique photograph. Just trying different ways of processing.

Jake

Maybe give it a warmish look and cloning out the splitter and glove?

But that removed the focus of my photo. I intentionally composed it and framed it this way. I wanted to include the splitter and gloves. The cold/cool look is meant to convey how cold and dreary it was that morning. [emoji5]️

Jake

But that removed the focus of my photo. I intentionally composed it and framed it this way. I wanted to include the splitter and gloves. The cold/cool look is meant to convey how cold and dreary it was that morning. [emoji5]️

Jake

Ah ok Jake I see what you mean now about what you are trying to convey.

Jake

Ah ok Jake I see what you mean now about what you are trying to convey.

I mean, whether or not it worked is a whole nother story [emoji12]

I mean, whether or not it worked is a whole nother story [emoji12]

I'm going to go ahead and say that I didn't get "cold and dreary".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back