Sponsorship...how...what..where!?

Tara

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey ya!

Right..I have a slightly random question..but I'll ask it anyway in the hope that someone might have a suggestion.

I'm in the final year of my photography degree in Nottingham Uk and for my final assessment I need to put on an exhibition of my work. I have the space all sorted out..so that's no longer a problem. However, for us poor students the cost of producing, presenting and exhibiting the work is huge (well relative to our bank balances anyway)...even the pot noodles and baked beans will have to be cut back:lol:

Does anyone know how to go about finding sponsorship for such an event..and even better..does anyone know specific companies who may have sponsored students in the past..or may consider doing so?

I've never put any exhibits together, but my best guess would be to visit some local gallery's and start networking with some people.

If you live in a smaller community such as myself there maybe a local group of artists that like to get together from time to time. In my town there's a group of artists who meet regularly and in the spring they hold an exhibit at the community centre. It's a small exhibit and some of the work is terrible, but some of it's quite good and it's a great place to start out. They all work together and share in the cost to rent out the hall and then they all get equal exposure. There are always gallery owners who go through the exhibit and if they like what they see they may even ask you to contribute a few pieces.

Anyway if there isn't a group of artists already in you area, then why not start a group? You're already in a group of photographers at school so why not get together and share in the cost of setting up your exhibits?

Tara said:
Does anyone know how to go about finding sponsorship for such an event..and even better..does anyone know specific companies who may have sponsored students in the past..or may consider doing so?

Any company will do...just get some incriminating pics of the CEO!

TwistMyArm said:
You're already in a group of photographers at school so why not get together and share in the cost of setting up your exhibits?

I've already found the space to exhibit with a friend so we are already splitting the cost which is cool. However, buying materials needed to produce a high quality/professional set of images is the expensive part. I'm going through twice, three times the amount of paper and film as ever before! Also there may be mounting, printing, and framing costs in the latter stages..not to mention publicity postcards, posters and business cards...

This is where i'm looking for some help.... I really want to blow the examiners' socks off! :D

mrsid99 said:
Any company will do...just get some incriminating pics of the CEO!

I'm working on it... Bill Gates...here I come :lol:

hi tara,

the things is - not knowing what your subjects are, its difficult
to brain-storm some answers. if you can shoot some subjects that
interface with a locality, big company or a charity, it might be possible for
them to host and facilitate.

example - you photograph life in the square-mile (london) and then you
approach the big-banks and firms to fund the exp in a suitable location.
they pay. and they get the reflected PR. another idea is work with a big
charity, they offer your art-prints of your work via their website and they
get a meaningful cut - or they host the exp somewhere (maybe also in
association with a blue-chip or two).

who do you contact ? go to the top, find out who the CEO, MD is or
partners are (from a busines-library) and write-them direct. thats the best
way of your request being referred to the right -person internally and
given some clout. (if the MD gets interested, then things happen)

if your current ideas are not suited to this, still keep these ideas in mind
for the future..//jack

Hey thanks for your posts guys!

Jack..My images are discussing the fragmentation, objectification and degredation of the female body by the media/society...so it's a tricky one to place. I've tried fuji and polaroid to see if they'd donate materials..but as I suspected..no reply. Thanks for your suggestion tho. If you have any other brainwaves let me know :D

Oh and ...Face..thanks for the giggles. :lol:

Most reactions

Back