Spot Metering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif
http://livius.deviantart.com/

Has anyone taken a look at the OP's posting history? Starts with a general question, sits back and lets all of us do the work... Hmmm..

FOLLOWING YOUR LEAD, pgiz, I went back through the OP's posting history. He's from Minnesota. He's a newbie. He has been a member of TPF since December of 2011. Which of those three things do you suppose causes him to be such a...searching for the proper word here...a "disconcerting influence"??? Is it the fact that he's from Minnesota? Of that he's a newbie shooter? Or that he is a new forum member? Or is it that some forum members feel like NO simple questions can be answered with one or two 15-word sentences?

I find the asking of a simple question that has been asked and answered many times MUCH LESS objectionable than the opposite, which is when a member creates a new thread, and then immediately some forum members pile on and chastize the creator of the thread for having the audacity to create a new thread, even when the original thread was basically already dead and buried and forgotten about by everyone but a handful of people who have been on TPF since the early 2000's. It's like there's a double standard here at TPF.
:thumbup:!!! Couldn't agree with you more. It's refreshing to see this post. Thank you for so eloquently putting into words what I could not.

Definetly the fact hes from Minnesota.

Has anyone taken a look at the OP's posting history? Starts with a general question, sits back and lets all of us do the work... Hmmm..

FOLLOWING YOUR LEAD, pgiz, I went back through the OP's posting history. He's from Minnesota. He's a newbie. He has been a member of TPF since December of 2011. Which of those three things do you suppose causes him to be such a...searching for the proper word here...a "disconcerting influence"??? Is it the fact that he's from Minnesota? Of that he's a newbie shooter? Or that he is a new forum member? Or is it that some forum members feel like NO simple questions can be answered with one or two 15-word sentences?

I find the asking of a simple question that has been asked and answered many times MUCH LESS objectionable than the opposite, which is when a member creates a new thread, and then immediately some forum members pile on and chastize the creator of the thread for having the audacity to create a new thread, even when the original thread was basically already dead and buried and forgotten about by everyone but a handful of people who have been on TPF since the early 2000's. It's like there's a double standard here at TPF.

Well, from my perspective, if someone starts a thread, I would expect that person to participate. The issue for me was not the question, which in itself is fine, but the pattern of asking a question and then disappearing. Perhaps it's just me, but I would consider it common courtesy to stick around and at the very least say thank you, or perhaps ask a followon question. We've had many similar questions asked, and generally, when the OP participates, they go somewhere. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see much participation by the OP here.

Come on guys. People who just signed up to this forum dont realize how many times any topic has been discussed.

Err not everyone uses forums on a daily basis - I know many people who will post and won't look at the net for a whole day or more - not everyone lurks here 24-7 ;)

Also, considering the direction the thread took within the first 2 posts I'm not sure many would be inclined to return - hostile replies never garner a good response from the original poster and things fast end up a debate/fight.

Derrel said:

What about when someone does use the search function and then posts on a thread that's a year old? Then you have people bitching about reviving a long dead thread.....

Err not everyone uses forums on a daily basis - I know many people who will post and won't look at the net for a whole day or more - not everyone lurks here 24-7 ;)

Also, considering the direction the thread took within the first 2 posts I'm not sure many would be inclined to return - hostile replies never garner a good response from the original poster and things fast end up a debate/fight.

Granted, but even if one is not here frequently, at least acknowledging other people's contribution would be a good thing, I would think. Aren't we trying to get a dialogue going?

Come on guys. People who just signed up to this forum dont realize how many times any topic has been discussed.

You are absolutely correct. However, common sense tells me that my question has been asked in the past. Therefore, I know that I can and will find my answer with a simple search on here. It's apparent that common sense is not so common anymore.

Maybe I am just grumpy. It looks like most people arent as annoyed as I am seeing questions like this.

... taking my chill pill.
I personally find it annoying that someone would lack the motivation to go out and do a bit of reading/research on their own for some of the very basic things that are covered in ones user manual.
I don't really have a problem if someone is trying to expand on a subject, or if they need it info like when something's best used, but examples like OP's just makes me think their lazy.

Some good replies in posts #62,63,64,65,and 66, some with humor, some more serious. Yes, as Overread mentioned, hostile replies usually ensure very few follow-up posts, so "expecting" a newbie poster and newbie photo enthusiast to take part in the discussion after a rocky start is probably a misguided expectation. The OP asked a simple question, "what is spot metering?" and then wrote, "I am a noob". That was met with derision. Attitudes clashed. THE WAY I SEE IT, forum regulars often get pretty snippy with noobs...and even some moderators have gotten snippy when old thread topics have been "re-done"...even though the original threads have been dormant for YEARS, literally...

Schwettylens said maybe he was a bit grouchier than normal today...that's understandable...what I seen in this particular OP is the kind of forum member that asks a LOT of basic questions, and expects that the "forum" as a collective will give him or her the answers sought--without feeling a need to engage in the normal back-and-forth that forum "regulars" and old-timers are used to.

A few years ago, when I first got here, longer posts were often met with derision, and comments like, "Nice book!". Same type of attitude existed on the Pop Photo forum, and now it is virtually dead... this forum has grown more mature, and more tolerant of long,lengthy posts, rants, hypothetical examinations of all types of scenarios, and so on...but it has also grown less-tolerant of some types of posters. I think we need to stop trying to enforce so much conformity, and also we need to realize, the search function does NOT WORK all that well, unless the user knows the exact search strings needed...we need to realize that basic questions come up, often, and if you feel like answering one, then DO IT...if not, then DON'T even waste your time and mental energy with a snarky reply--just let the post slide right on past you...

Hey, what is spot metering? I've had it for over 10 years and almost NEVER have used it, except by accident!!

Any forum out there no matter what it's about always says in the rules before you ask, search. I'm sure is here somewhere in the TPF rule book... I don't know why it's a shocker that people get annoyed by the same questions every week and a half.

Just like we have the same debates every week about "Equipment vs user." Or the ever so popular "Why are you so mean when you CC?"

And locking this now as we are going in circles and most of the points have been made.

PhotoFrenzie - sorry for the diversion of your thread - the topic itself is still open to discussion if you wish to revisit the question - do take time to read this thread there are some good pointers and bits of info relating to it within.

As for the situation people need to accept that beginners are going to ask entry level questions and that the same questions are going to appear over and over again. Exercise some self moderation and just choose not to reply to them, let those who will do so and save your time for discussions that you'd rather take part in. If you can't find any consider making some of your own. Good discussions on topics You want to talk about will only happen if you take the effort to start them .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back