Spring House - Boyertown, Pa

Rick58

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$Spring House_Boyertown, Pa.jpg

Here's my contribution taken with my 40 year old 135mm/3.5 AI
I spent about 2 hours playing with this until I got it to where I want it.
Thoughts? Opinions? Critiques?

New record:
Views=43
Comments= o

New record:
Views=43
Comments= o
No yet, Rick. The record is 1575 views and 0 comments. In 2007. You posted in bad time, when everybody was busy drinking for President's health. :lol: I had here a Family Day... so, you understand I hope diversion of my attention. :hug::
You picture is just fine, one of the better lately, two hours of work gave the results. The crop is maybe a little tight, IMO this changes the dynamics of the picture and make them "uneasy", but the light, the angle and basic compo seems to be on spot.

Thank you timor. There's a twin spring house just to the right of this one. I'm going to work on another crop tonight. Maybe I'll open it up a bit.

Is it buried in ... snow?

I agree it's too tight. It's an interesting subject, the angle and light look nice to me, but I just want more space. Maybe more space to the left, showing the entire shadow.

Thanks folks. It seems the common consensus is... too tight. The height of the snow is only an illusion from the angle I took the first shot
Here's another take of the same location with the second spring house included. This time I opened the crop giving more room in front of the buildings
$Spring House_Boyertown, Pa(2).jpg

Thanks. I had a lot of fun with these two and spent a lot more time processing them then any others. I'm beginning to enjoy the challenge of snow texture. This two house version is growing on me. I wanted the larger stone detail, but the closer I cropped the more room I thought was needed in front of the buildings. Thanks everyone for smacking me in the back of the head and saying "Too tight". Looking at it harder, I tend to agree.

Last edited:
Everyone said everything before I even saw this thread! :) I like the wider crop with the two houses. Great job with the lighting.

Thanks Leonore :wink: I waited a LONG time to get some sun shining on these. It's been a long gray winter.

Thanks folks. It seems the common consensus is... too tight. The height of the snow is only an illusion from the angle I took the first shot
Here's another take of the same location with the second spring house included. This time I opened the crop giving more room in front of the buildings
View attachment 67059
This is a great situation. And tough one. Rick, good factual picture, but do you have a taste for some pictoral influx ? For me it would be #1 - remove the forest, replace with white sky. #2 - crop the forest to just very thin line, maybe 2 mm in the high point on the left. We don't need to see that forest in full, it destroys the isolation of this two huts.

The first one I think needs more space to the left so the shadow doesn't look quite so cut off, and that might adjust the balance. I like the second one too, but maybe with less space to the right. I like the two houses at different angles, works great in the snow in B&W.

you got some really nice thought already and I pretty much agree with what is pointed in all above

more space in the first one
the second on I would like the whole shadow to be visible and you could try to straighten the crop a bit

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I'll definitely keep these for some rainy day crop exercises.

Timor? You made me spit out my fruit juice this morning :lol:. If you knew how much pain I went through to clone out the houses that occupied the left side of the woods. Getting that angled snow /woods line merged so it looks natural was a real pain in the...
If you look closely you'll see a repeating image in the woods from the clone. I was so proud of that cloning I wanted to see if anyone picked up on it. Now you want me to erase it :banghead:...:lol:

Thanks again everyone.

Most reactions

Back