Spring House - Boyertown, Pa

you made me laugh Rick :D

thanks!

You did an excellent job cloning! :D

Really, though, it's tough to clone shadows that close to an edge. Did you have to dodge it some?

I get so excited when I see a post about a local Pa area and then I notice it's just you...hehe <I kid>
Good shot, friend. I need to get out in the countryside and see if I can find anything interesting.

You did an excellent job cloning! :D

Really, though, it's tough to clone shadows that close to an edge. Did you have to dodge it some?
Thanks. Not a touch other then straight cloning. I was surprised how well it blended

I get so excited when I see a post about a local Pa area and then I notice it's just you...hehe <I kid>
Good shot, friend. I need to get out in the countryside and see if I can find anything interesting.
Thanks. Sorry to disappoint you. :mrgreen:
I've been waiting for a little sunshine for these. There's another really nice Mail Pouch barn very close to these. Unfortunately, there was no place to get off the road due to the snow banks. I'll have to go back for that one :wink:

Last edited:
Like the two house shot more. Great perspective. Later Ed

Honestly, my main nitpick with the tight cropped one is that the shadow had to cropped. Then I see the shadow is long enough to get cropped on the one with both houses - so it's still a nitpick on that one, too. :razz:

Aside from that, I will be different and say I prefer the tight crop. I don't find it claustrophobic (aside from the shadow loss). I like being able to see the texture of the stone up close, AND the bit of snow texture on the roof, slightly enhanced by the sun hitting it, is lovely. It is a nice touch that is lost completely on the other image, but adds so much to the texture of the first one.

I appreciate why there are protests to the sense of closeness in the shot, but for me, there is just enough space around the whole frame that you get away with it. The illusion of the deep snow is also exciting here.

In short: me likey. :mrgreen:

$Spring House_Boyertown, Pa (shadow).jpg
Thanks Terri, Several folks mentioned the shadow cut. Here's a hurried edit showing the entire shadow. Leaving the entire shadow makes the photo feel "heavy" on the right side...to me. I'd be very interested in hearing how others feel about this. Like I said, this is just a rushed edit to show the shadow.

If you knew how much pain I went through to clone out the houses that occupied the left side of the woods. Getting that angled snow /woods line merged so it looks natural was a real pain in the...
If you look closely you'll see a repeating image in the woods from the clone. I was so proud of that cloning I wanted to see if anyone picked up on it. Now you want me to erase it :banghead:...:lol:
:crazy: Now I choked on a piece of donat with my coffee. HA !!! Rick is cloning ?! I didn't pay attention to detail in the line of woods, it is for me just one more compositional element in this picture. If it took that much to get this line "clean", then I am sorry, :lol:, but good job. Now I would like to see it as a thick "pencil" line only, closing nicely the perspective.
The last "one house" version with full shadow is good.

[/QUOTE] :crazy: HA !!! Rick is cloning ?!. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I felt so dirty afterward I showered for an hour but couldn't scrub those key stokes from my mind. Hopefully the nightmares will subside after counseling. :lol:

Well, back to the cropping board. Get it. See what I did there? "Cropping" board? "Chopping" board?..ehh...Never mind.
I'll next do a crop to make everyone happy and create world peace:
Both houses, full shadow, AND... a pencil line forest.

:crazy: HA !!! Rick is cloning ?!.

Yeah, I felt so dirty afterward I showered for an hour but couldn't scrub those key stokes from my mind. Hopefully the nightmares will subside after counseling. :lol:

Well, back to the cropping board. Get it. See what I did there? "Cropping" board? "Chopping" board?..ehh...Never mind.
I'll next do a crop to make everyone happy and create world peace:
Both houses, full shadow, AND... a pencil line forest.

I guess my question would be if you are cloning what are you doing with all the extra sheep?

Probably just me again, huh. Lol

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OK, last take on the ol' Spring houses...
$Spring House_Boyertown, Pa(2a).jpg
I trimmed back the forest. After looking at it harder, I agree with Timor. The added thickest added zero to the shot and it was just wide enough to look awkward.
I included the entire shadow, but in my mind, that made the shot seem unbalanced by pushing the buildings too far to the right, so I countered the shadow with the swirl of the snow on the right. This also opened the shot to help show the openness of the actual scene.
Now everyone can tell me how wonderful it is so I shut up and move on :mrgreen:

Going once...

I like it. it gives a "closure" to the perspective. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back