Stacking Filters

Turnerea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've just gotten a few filters to start messing around with: a CPOL, 0.6ND and a UV. I've heard from most people that they just leave the UV on all the time. Do you then stack a CPOL or ND on top of the UV when you want to use one of those?

If the UV is for protection, then wouldn't it make sense to have that as the last filter though? Instead of the $100 CPol?

What do people on here do with their filters?

What do people on here do with their filters?

I carry around 3 ND filters and a CPol. Yup, I stack em. Most of the time while shooting outdoors in the sun, I usually keep my CPol on. If I find a situation needing an ND, I stack it. Sometimes, I stack 2 ND filters (.6 and .9) and a CPol just to kill the sun at high noon. Very, very tough to see through the viewfinder this way. I usually take too many calibration shots but it all works out in the end. Here is an example of a ND+CPol stack shot.

375526270_ddxy8-M.jpg

It would make sense but it may not be practical. If the $100 CPL is going to be on the lens the whole time just leave the $100 UV filter at home. The lens is protected, and that was the goal anyway, replace $100 not $1000. If the UV however is already on my lens, and I just need the CPL quickly for one shot it's too much hassle to take it off, just throw the CPL over the top.

With stacking the only down side is that every filter introduces problems. So two cheap filters means if you shoot into the sun there will be many nasty reflections and ghosts. And the other problem is vignetting on wide angle shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back