Started digital, now learning film... 1 important question!

LightFramework

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I own a Canon 6D and Infrared modified Canon 550D. Canon 100L Macro, 24-105L, Sigma 35 and 50 Art, Rokinon 14.

I just started with Photo 100 and 109 (Intro to Black and White Film//Photo Composition and Design). Obviously I need a film camera.

The professor has a Nikon F3 + Nikkor 50 1.4 for $350 and an Olympus OM-2 + 50 1.4//28 2.8//100-200//55 Macro for the same price. I nearly bit. However, I'm considering now a Canon Film camera instead to use the lenses I already have. I know that 3rd party lenses are a "crapshoot" when it comes to backward compatibility.

The Olympus may be too good of a deal to pass up. Although, the thought of using those Sigma Primes on a good condition EOS 1V (found a deal on craigslist for $450) is too enticing to ignore as well.

Thoughts? Am I overthinking this?

Just be aware that late model AF film cameras from Nikon and Canon have never been cheaper. Older isn't necessarily better than newer. The F3 kit is over-priced compared to what an N90s or F100-both far more versatile cameras-would go for. Assume same would be true for comparable late model Canon prosumer film bodies. Do some more research. Ask around. Don't buy from your prof.

First, for the class, the prof might want a camera with fewer capabilities that the later automated Nikons and Canons. Photography 101 classes tend towards more manual control bodies.

Second, older is not always better, but neither is newer. Electronics vs mechanical. I personally tend to trust mechanics better.

Third, I don't know about Canon compatibility, so I can't say for sure what models you'd want or how hard/easy it would be to find one in the time you have before your class requires you to start using your camera. I agree that the prices the prof is charging are a bit steep. Even if you go with one of the two cameras he's offering, you can find them for less money. I've got an OM-2 and really like it. Zuiko glass is sharp and contrasty, very nice.

Finally, if you want to give yourself time to get a good Canon film body to use with your lenses but need something quick for the class, look for a Pentax K1000. They're pretty cheap these days but solid, solid, solid. I dropped mine off a stone wall onto concrete and it barely even blinked. Good and affordable lenses. It's been a student camera for Photography 101 type classes for decades. (And any K-mount lenses will work on Pentax DSLRs if you ever decide to switch from Canon.)

Canon EOS film cameras are available for very reasonable prices. Most use a 2CR5 battery which are available though expensive. Rechargeable 2cr5 batteries would be a good idea. Adapters are available to mount many manual focus lenses, including M42, EXA/Exakta, Nikon AI F and others. Just look on the big auction site for possible cameras for your class.

Phil

"Automated" late model AF Nikons can easily be switched into 1970s manual mode with old school center-weighted metering with +/- exposure readout, ISO/shutter speed settings, and manual focus. Assume the same is true of mid-range Canon AF film bodies. Entry level film courses in my area ask for these capabilities regardless of the camera's vintage.

Quartz-timed/electronic shutters aren't impeded by dried out 30-40 year-old petroleum-based lubricants used in older manual cameras. Getting oldies competently, easily and affordably fixed now can be dicey. The reality now is that replacement is often easier and cheaper than a CLA/repair on ailing mid-market film cameras. Newer is still...newer.

And Canon EOS film cameras generally take EF mount lenses. Is that what you already have?

I would find a nice cheap Minolta X- or a Pentax K-1000 and save the extra money for more film.

Gosh, you are going to have a lot of fun. Enjoy and ask even more important questions anytime your pointy old heart desires.

I just got a Nikon FM2n for $11 US. Already have Nikon MF glass so it's just a good deal for me. What a sweet handling camera it is too. Totally mechanical with a 1/4000 shutter rated for 150K clicks. Travel camera.

I have a Minolta XD11 along with three lenses I am looking to sell. If you are interested, please feel free to get in contact with me and we can work something out. Its a fun camera, but Id rather put more into my FM2 since I shoot Nikon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back