Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......... That Was Refreshing!

480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Had a couple hours between an inspection this morning and meeting HelpMe for lunch, I so took advantage of the 45°F weather and burned off a roll of film.

Just hung it up to dry.

20150127_213556post.jpg

For some reason, I find shooting, and developing, film ever so relaxing!

Last edited:
Same here. Somehow I don't feel digital at all. It lacks for me this exactly magic of film development with all the emotions associated with it.

I just started developing my own B&W film and find it very satisfying. Yesterday a second-hand enlarger arrived and today I received new stock of chemicals, more clips and a changing bag. I have used but nice trays on the way and am looking around for other bargains to get a darkroom set up. I hope to be able to start wet printing this spring or summer.

Same here, but the shooting is more relaxing than the developing to me.

Sometimes, when I read about all of you developing stuff, I kinda think I miss it and I start thinking about maybe getting some equipment and getting back into it.

But the truth is, I miss the "idea" of developing film but not the actual act. The chemicals actually often gave me headaches, and I wasn't all that great at darkroom work anyway.

I reckon I'll stick to digital processing and enjoying seeing what others are producing the traditional way!

I started developing my own about 2 years ago and I love the whole process as well. Though having said that, I've been dragging my feet on the last batch of film I have to get developed. 6 rolls of 35mm and 4 rolls of 120! Yikes! But come hell or high water, I will have them developed by the end of the weekend. When I'm doing that many, it gets a little boring, but I still feel like I've just performed some sort of magic when I pull that strip off the reel and see all the images that have come to life. :586:

don't like developing. But thinking of taking it up to save money. you do color too spark or just bw?

don't like developing. But thinking of taking it up to save money. you do color too spark or just bw?
As I said somewhere else, not everyone was made for everything. I am bad at sculpturing. Well, shooting film wont save you much monies, but may cause frustration if you not really into it. :bek113:

My darkroom of the 70's and 80's was set up for color, but not my current one. I sold all my old stuff years ago and never thought I'd 'go back' to developing. But I purchased a PlusTek dedicated 35mm scanner for digitizing all my old K25 slides, and decided to get a 35mm film camera and drop the $100 or so to get back to developing b&w film. I started to scan it, then was given a Beseler 45 enlarger and about half the goodies needed to make wet prints.

So I started collecting the remainder of the gear and was able to convert my master bath to a darkroom on a temporary basis. Figured I could shoot & develop the film, scan it in, then every month or two set the darkroom up and wet-print my faves.

Recently, I was given what I think are the C-Y-M filters for making color prints. I haven't verified it yet, but that's the only thing I can think of they would be used for. So someday I may just buy the chemicals and paper and try it out on some of my old negs from 'back in the day'.

Since the enlarger can go to 4"x5", I now have a hankering for a 4x5 field camera.

Noooo, don't go there ... once you look at a large format neg you can never go back !!!

My enlarger can do 5x7, and I am hesitating on setting it up.

My darkroom of the 70's and 80's was set up for color, but not my current one. I sold all my old stuff years ago and never thought I'd 'go back' to developing. But I purchased a PlusTek dedicated 35mm scanner for digitizing all my old K25 slides, and decided to get a 35mm film camera and drop the $100 or so to get back to developing b&w film. I started to scan it, then was given a Beseler 45 enlarger and about half the goodies needed to make wet prints.

So I started collecting the remainder of the gear and was able to convert my master bath to a darkroom on a temporary basis. Figured I could shoot & develop the film, scan it in, then every month or two set the darkroom up and wet-print my faves.

Recently, I was given what I think are the C-Y-M filters for making color prints. I haven't verified it yet, but that's the only thing I can think of they would be used for. So someday I may just buy the chemicals and paper and try it out on some of my old negs from 'back in the day'.

Since the enlarger can go to 4"x5", I now have a hankering for a 4x5 field camera.
i don't have anything for it and only vaguely remember how. I am thinking it would go in the basement Near the washer and dryer. i could set up sink and get some pvc to run into the main sewer line and splice into the cold and hot water running to the wash machine hookup. Far as hanging prints, a clothes line running across the floor joists. About the only thing i can come up with. I have nothing for it as of yet, but if i get into it i would rather have a table and sink with some working room. I could probably setup up the area for a hundred fifty. i am worried about the amount of dust down there from the laundry and dryer. would still have a lot of stuff to get i have nothing for it. something to think about. Your posts seem to be encouraging me to think about it. lol

Regardless of where you set up, it will need to be absolutely, 100% pure pitch-black if you're talking about making wet prints. NO light at all. Even some washers & dryers now have LED displays that would be an issue. Digital displays for water heaters, LED indicators inside the furnace, pilot light switches for sump pumps.... all must be eliminated.

Ideally, a darkroom for printing is divided into two main areas.... wet and dry. The dry side is for handling negs, contains the enlarger and paper, etc. The wet side is for the chemicals, trays, sink etc.

For developing film only, you can make due with a dark (film changing) bag.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back