Starting to venture into portraits C&C please

I like the pose, head tilt and the colors in #4. She looks natural and it had great DOF but I'm not a fan of soft focus, to me it just looks blurry. Do you have a version of this one with no filter? I think that would be a really great shot.

yeah i was questioning the soft focus...i think i should have left it at just a glow effect. hmmm food for thought

I feel like in some of the pictures she looks an old 20-something, but in some other pictures she looks 17-18.

Anyone else get this feeling?

(pics 1&3 vs 2&4)

I feel like in some of the pictures she looks an old 20-something, but in some other pictures she looks 17-18.

Anyone else get this feeling?

(pics 1&3 vs 2&4)

I don't but that doesn't mean it isn't there for others.

I used to use 3 portraits to explain different points of photography when I taught a workshop. All 3 images were always shown together because they were of the same girl and that was the end point of the demonstration.

Not one person ever picked up on the fact and I always had great fun explaining how you can make someone look totally different by moving lights, by turning them to a different angle, etc.

I noticed the same thing.... #2 & #4 she looks much older than in #1 and #3. The poses also look unnatural to me as well. The first one almost looks like she's having to hold her head up because she lacks neck muscles or something. #4 is close, but I'm not sure what's going on with the hip... it looks twisted at an impossible angle. Other than that, I think 4 is nice.

makes sense...maybe i should find some actual models lol. shes just a friend of mine. I have a couple more girls for shoots this week, and ill post them up after i get them.

maybe i should find some actual models

:lol: Anyone posing for you is an actual model. :lol:

Keep in mind that, if a model with experience might be easier to work with, a big part of the results is your responsibility. As the photog you need to learn to direct models. If this is the kind of stuff you want to do, pick up a book on posing and start looking at as many photos with people as you can find.

Learning to shoot models is easier, imo, with friends and people who don't take themselves too seriously as models. They'll put up with a lot more crap, they don't get snobby since they don't know that you don't know and, last but not least, they're free. Although I always found it a good idea to treat them to dinner or a drink... to say thanks :D

Good idea because I have a lot of very pretty girls that want their pics taken like this. I've shot for 3 girls now and i've learned a lot already. Any books you might reccomend?

Everyone needs to learn so don't take this personally especially since you say it's your first try but the other ones look too much like you read a book on poses, she didn't and it just looks unnatural..

I don't think so. In shot #1, her arm divides her body in half and her hair cuts her eye almost in half. The black watch band and the black bra strap are also visual distractions. The position of the left arm is also unnatural and awkward.

Number 2 is better but you still have the visual distractions of the black bra strap, the ring, the necklace and the purple/blue flower on the right. On a pro web site, they will tell you that jewellry is a no,no, for professional portraits. The eyes are in the dark, so postprocessing is drastically needed on this shot or fill flash or a reflector when you first shot it.

In shot 3, you still have the hair cutting one eye, the distracting black watch band, the black bra strap and the arm cutting across the body.

In Shot 4, you still have the visual distractions of the watch band, the necklace, and NOW the nails and the unruly hair on the right side. The face and the eyes also need work in post, particularly to brighten the eyes and reduce the darkness underneath. Some black sposts on the bench should be cloned out in post as well.

Portraits are a challenge for even many pros and require one heck of a lot of learning and research. Don't expect good portraits without one heck of a lot of work at it.

skieur

THAT'S what i was looking for. I completely understand this. I need to do more research and practice. I thank you very much for the amazing feedback. Like i said before. Is there any good books onthis type of subject? Possibly websites?

Heres some new photos ive done with a friend....C&C?

4539540607_26763d210b_b.jpg

4540175304_84aa317d6a_b.jpg

4540175858_0d5d9e1860_b.jpg

4540177140_3164b9baea_b.jpg

4540174314_6e3cae7e94_b.jpg

Last edited:
Backgrounds should complement the model, not distract the viewer's eye and no part of the model or clothes should merge with the background. Shadows that merge with both the background and the model are also a problem. A viewer wants to be able to visually distinguish the model from the shadow and the shadow from the background. Shadows can be lightened and the detail in them, brought out by postprocessing. Knots in wood and variations in brick take the viewer's eye away from the model.

There are a number of approaches possible. Take the model further away from the background and blur it out with a wider fstop such as f2 or use a medium focal length such as 80mm. It is also possible to blur or darken the background in postprocessing. Public gardens can provide almost any colour to the blurred background.

The other principal approach is to use the background to set a scene. You need to however, decide what look you are going for. To simplify, an elegant look (clothes, hair, makeup etc.) should go with an elegant background. The jeans and country girl look go with a variety of outdoors backgrounds.

Skin colour should be fairly consistent. In shot 5, the washed out back of her hand and red knuckles seem to be problematic. Camera angle and focal length often distort the body part closest to the camera which makes her arm look disproportionately smaller than her very large bust.
If that was not the intention, then there is a problem.

In shot 6, the vignetting hides her feet, or perhaps the fact that her feet are cut off, in the shot. The arm at the front in shot 9 makes it an unflattering shot. Washout in the skin area due to overexposure is also a problem with some of the black and white images.

skieur

Good idea because I have a lot of very pretty girls that want their pics taken like this. I've shot for 3 girls now and i've learned a lot already. Any books you might reccomend?

Sorry, no. I got rid of mine a long time ago and I don't even remember the title.

That sounds like a good new thread to me though :D

It should be of interest to others as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back