Steam locomotive

Designer

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We visited the Boone and Scenic Valley Railroad on July 4, 2015. The poor thing had to back all the way out to the end, then they moved it to the other end of the train to run forward back into Boone.

DSC_0013 - Version 2.jpg

In case the members would like to know; this loco is the NEWEST unit at this railroad. It was built in 1988 in China and shipped new to the B&SV RR. They have several diesel-electric locomotives as well as several trains of coaches, etc.

They run a dinner train in a really spiffy yellow train.

This train consisted of mainly coaches, with one mail car, an open-air observation car, and two cabooses. (One on each end, see?)

Their junkyard has lots of other rolling stock and some additional locos needing restoration.

Here is what it looks like when they are moving the locomotive to the other end of the train:

DSC_0051 - Version 2.jpg

This is what the loco looks like at the front of the train:

DSC_0077 - Version 2 (2).jpg

There is a photo opportunity platform to get snaps of the kids in the cab.

DSC_0074 - Version 2.jpg

The engineer was trying to let condensate out, and the discharge pipe is right where people walk to get on the photo platform. Mrs. Designer herded the grandchildren past the hot water discharge several times, making the engineer wait until everyone was in the clear.

DSC_0073 - Version 2 (1).jpg

I actually very seriously considered buying one similar about ten years ago. Datong works was selling off surplus QJs and SYs for $135,000.00 delivered to Vancouver. Unfortunately it would have cost me another $100,000 to get it from Vancouver to Victoria, so... alas! :( By all accounts these are hard-riding and crudely built locomotives, but damn... it would have been fun!

I actually very seriously considered buying one similar about ten years ago. Datong works was selling off surplus QJs and SYs for $135,000.00 delivered to Vancouver. Unfortunately it would have cost me another $100,000 to get it from Vancouver to Victoria, so... alas! :( By all accounts these are hard-riding and crudely built locomotives, but damn... it would have been fun!
Yes. Yes, it would have been fun.

BTW: do you have any track?

Yes. Yes, it would have been fun.

BTW: do you have any track?
Minor detail.

I hear you! Getting the components to build track is probably the easy part.

Tricking your friends into helping you for free might be the hard part.

BTW: this RR is essentially run by volunteer help. They do have a few employees, but the drivers, the conductors, and office personnel are all volunteers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back