Storage & organization

TerBear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How are you guys storing your gear while not in use? Since getting my first DSLR last year, I seem to have gathered a lot of stuff, multiple lenses, lots of memory cards, a simple camera cleaning kit, some lens pouches and hoods, etc. Currently I have Thirty-One Bag that I got for Christmas a few years ago that I stash the stuff in. Then the bag sits on the "end table" (it's a dog crate with a piece of wood on top), near my chair. It's not a great system, so just wondering what the rest of the folks are doing

Oh Lord....if I attached 3 pictures of where I store my stuff (and the organization), most of you would fall over laughing.

1. Next to my desk I have a small, narrow hutch (with a floor to 3 feet height of 2 shelves with doors that enclose them (to keep out dust and an inquisitive terrier). That's where I store all of my photo books (about 40 of them) of various types, software, extra DVDs and jewel cases, some plastic tarps I use for scrims, spare bodies that I rarely use (like an old D70), etc. Sitting on top of that is a narrow bookshelf/hutch/cubby. In that are my speed lights (4 of them), filters, gels, a couple of small tripods (like a tabletop 6 inch tripod and a gorillapod), cleaning stuff, and clamps. Also SD cards and some packs of spare batteries. Also a large (2 TB) external drive that I try to backup on every month. On top of that little bookshelf/cubby is my primary body, all of my lens, rechargeable batteries, my black rapid sling, and a Tamrac holster (which is my default carrying mechanism). The Holster already has a bunch of stuff in it (notebook & pen, extra SD cards, microfibre cloth, ziplock bag in-case it rains) but no lens or body--that I pick based on the particular concept I'm shooting or anticipate.

2. Then, there is a portable table (about 3 feet x 6 feet). Under it are 5 boxes full of "stuff." Scrims, interesting cloth and backdrops, two umbrellas, 3 or 4 portable soft boxes, all of my reflectors, various clamps and tools, various props (fake ice cubes, glow in the dark paint, glow sticks, crystals, lace, misting bottle). Most of this I rarely use but I know mostly what is in each box and will pull it out for a specific shoot or idea. Also thrown in there to the side or on top of boxes are a variety of carrying devices (fanny pack that can hold a body, zoom, and two water bottles or lens; an UA waterproof backpack with a Timbuktu insert in it; a messenger bag that holds a laptop, boy and about 3 lens; my two full-sized manfrottos; a couple of light stands. On top of the table are...a couple of slabs of marble I use for food photography, a light table, a small light tent, a slab of black acrylic, a large soft box that doesn't fold up. Tucked behind the table against the wall is a roll of seamless white backdrop paper and the stands for the paper.

3. On top of my desk (besides laptop and monitor) I have two external drives that I use for photos, a couple of SD cards that I've recently used but haven't put on backup for the RAW files yet so I haven't formatted, a couple of articles I've printed out and mean to read, a "to-do" list of things I want to work on for the next couple of months (for instance, I want to get more proficient at using my Lens Baby, I want to work practice using front and rear curtain sync with my speed lights, etc.). I have a couple of notes for photo locations I want to try out (going to Union Station this coming Tuesday evening to shoot the Norwegian Christmas tree and the toy train setup plus also do some people photography).

And I don't count this but I've got a couple of tall bookshelves in my "office" (which is the basement). One of those bookshelves is devoted to 5-7 binders each with about 40-70 articles that I've clipped to save or printed out on a variety of things (tips for shooting dance photography, critiques of particular photographers, examples of photos that I use for inspiration.

Quick summary: I think you really need a couple of spots/storage options:
--One to store stuff that you keep but rarely use (like a rain sleeve or underwater housing).
--Another to store stuff that you use often but don't want to carry all the time. This would include the range of lenses that you have, your speed lights, etc. You need easy access but don't want to have to take them out of your bag/sling every time.
--Your "go to" kit (a set of stuff you KNOW you will need every time). For instance, I think it's crazy to go outside the house for a deliberate and extended photographic opportunity unless you have a microfibre cloth, extra cards, extra batteries and something to moderate light (scrim, speed light, gels, reflector--at least one of those).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back