Storm over London

triggerhappy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I'd really like your thoughts on this one. I know what I'm trying to acheive with this picture, and for me it nearly gets there... but doesn't quite work. The only problem is that I can't put my finger on what's wrong. The location is right outside my office so I can go back and have another go some time.... I just need to sort out what the problem is first.

original.jpg

Here it is again with a little noise
original.jpg

Exif:
ISO 200, 1/15 sec - F/4.5

I like the first pic, but I agree there is something with it that doesn't work. I think the little bridge thingy whatever you call it, blends in too much with the buildings in the background. There's no real seperation between them to me. Not sure how to fix the problem though, maybe shoot some different angles. Maybe needs a bit more contrast too. That's my 2 cents.

do you have any taken on the dock looking towards the city, or with the dock out of the way? it's more of a distraction IMO

It's a neat pic. I love the clouds and the city.
I think the dock is too tall. My eyes are drawn to the planks under the doc, when the buildings behind are much more interesting.

I dont think the dock should be out of the pic, but I think getting a different angle so the dock doesnt look so tall...?

Thanks for the suggestions, they were great. I'll try it again some time without the pier. I may also have a go taking the same photo when the tide is in so that the legs don't look so long.

I also like the first one. And I am not sure why but it doesn't even bother me that the horizon goes right throught the center :scratch: I think it works well in this instance.

I agree with the masses. The pier is in competition with the background and their isn't a winner yet. If you can't get a picture without the pier in it, at least have a little less. You can do that by shooting from a higher elevation or moving more to your left. I really like the picture except for the competition. As for the grain/no grain choice, I personally like the non grainy one for this type of landscape.

Here's what i think:
# top of the bridge is level with horizon
# bridge gets all the attention (when you want to display the storm you should lift you camera to get a 2:1 ratio.

Good picture anyway,

Most reactions

Back