strange, but nice verbal stand off.

Kinda reminds me of being dead right. I practice kayaking, and often have to "share" the waterway with much bigger vessels than mine. In theory, all recreational vessels have the same rights, but in practice, the big boys get priority, because I'd rather be mad about an idiot in a boat, than having my wife be responsible for making funeral arrangements because I didn't get out of the way fast enough.

One way that "street photography" can work, is if the photographer participates in an area and becomes accepted as one of the people in it. If they then take photographs, no-one gets their nose out of joint because "that's what that person does", and there's some trust there. Not saying that this is prescriptive and the only way, but that would be the way I'd do it if I was to do "street".

I think shooting and subsequent publishing (on the internet) of anyone without their consent is illegal in Germany, maybe Fred or some of the Germans on here could correct me. There are a few exceptions, but I think most of the street photography I see here, where the subject is recognizable, would not be allowed in Germany without the consent of the 'model'.

So taking pictures in bars/restaurants won't be 'public'? I guess the laws in most countries differ on this as well.
In this country, that would be considered as private property. A sidewalk outside a home is public property, lawn of the home adjacent to the sidewalk would be considered private.

I'm fascinated by the distinction between 'sickos' and 'photogs'. Why should one of these, whatever those words even mean, have rights that the other does not?

They both have the perfect right to photograph you in public as long as they do not cross the line of expectation of privacy. The only difference is the former is more annoying than the latter.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I'm just pointing out that the prevailing attitude toward "pervs" photographing people, in particular children, is.. excessive. At least in the USA.

I find it an interesting phenomenon. People tend to be pretty liberal about where and what people can shoot until kids turn up, and then suddenly it's "a) should not be allowed and b) we should probably commit violence on these people" for what is, essentially, wrongthink.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I'm just pointing out that the prevailing attitude toward "pervs" photographing people, in particular children, is.. excessive. At least in the USA.

I find it an interesting phenomenon. People tend to be pretty liberal about where and what people can shoot until kids turn up, and then suddenly it's "a) should not be allowed and b) we should probably commit violence on these people" for what is, essentially, wrongthink.

I'm not a perv with a camera who like to take photos of little children. I'm a scout for Al Qaeda on a recruiting mission! :048:

aaaaaand i would say that this particular verbal stand off is done.

by request, I am going to re-open this thread.

anyone posting anything even remotely combative gets a TPF vacation.
there will be no further warnings.

As one of the offenders, I am going to commit to Not Posting in this thread, as I suspect it would result in vacation(s).

Therefore, if you're interested in my point of view, please PM me.

I think shooting and subsequent publishing (on the internet) of anyone without their consent is illegal in Germany, maybe Fred or some of the Germans on here could correct me. There are a few exceptions, but I think most of the street photography I see here, where the subject is recognizable, would not be allowed in Germany without the consent of the 'model'.
I believe the same goes in France. I think in France privacy and the consent of the subject even extends to the media/press/news.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back