Stratton PPOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian_f2.8

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yesterday I shot a slope style event. I never shot anything like this before. I was out of my element. I will say it was a lot different than motor sports.
I tried to be creative and just apply the basics of photography.
Sorry for the night shots, horrible and I mean horrible lighting.

Attachments

• $image-2639813835.jpg
    $image-2639813835.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 132
  • $image-253120452.jpg
    $image-253120452.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 127
  • $image-4282629425.jpg
    $image-4282629425.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 167
  • $image-1387142219.jpg
    $image-1387142219.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 134
  • $image-952086183.jpg
    $image-952086183.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 129
  • $image-3593765371.jpg
    $image-3593765371.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 147
  • $image-1901961520.jpg
    $image-1901961520.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 158
  • $image-707950598.jpg
    $image-707950598.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 137
It's always tough going into shooting a new sport, especially having to deal with changing light. Some of these look soft/motion, but for a first time out they don't look too bad. Shooting in the snow adds that extra element as well, having to wear more clothes, being colder, trying to shoot with gloves, it all adds to the challenges.

How come you never have any exif data, camera used, lens, exposures, relevant information.

It's always tough going into shooting a new sport, especially having to deal with changing light. Some of these look soft/motion, but for a first time out they don't look too bad. Shooting in the snow adds that extra element as well, having to wear more clothes, being colder, trying to shoot with gloves, it all adds to the challenges.

How come you never have any exif data, camera used, lens, exposures, relevant information.

Not sure why they look soft, must be the compression. I upload to drop box, then download the image and upload to the forum using the app on IOS.

Oh, is there an easier way to upload?

The key with "extreme" sports is to include the obstacles as well as the subject.

Meaning? Again this was my first time on a ski mountain in forever. Im 33 and I havent gone skiing since I was in 4th grade. I was lost, I have no clue what makes a good image and what doesnt. I do know any content needs to be sharp and correctly exposed unless you are going to a specific look. This is why I did the silhouettes because the lighting was awesome in the am and no clouds. The second image I just de-saturated the image and upped the contrast to a different look.

Meaning? Again this was my first time on a ski mountain in forever. Im 33 and I havent gone skiing since I was in 4th grade. I was lost, I have no clue what makes a good image and what doesnt. I do know any content needs to be sharp and correctly exposed unless you are going to a specific look. This is why I did the silhouettes because the lighting was awesome in the am and no clouds. The second image I just de-saturated the image and upped the contrast to a different look.

It adds a frame of reference to the photos. First off you almost always have great mountains/woods to use as a backdrop, secondly it helps show the degree of difficulty. The air trick you posted for example I don't know if they are going of a 2 ft jump or jumping over the grand canyon.

look at these https://www.google.com/search?q=tra...igOgK&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=1109

Row 1 Col 3,4 seems like the real winners of this group.

I think posting clearly not-as-good pictures in a large bunch dilutes the impact of the obviously much better ones.

$slopestyle.jpg

Can you explain why 6 of those 8 are crossed off. Again I have no clue about this stuff.

Because I think those are clearly less dynamic, interesting or enjoyable than the other 2.

If you exercise judgement, post only the one or two best and get comments on those, then you'll improve your own critical skills and extend them each time.

It sounds like you are specifying an exact shot. The client was very happy with the diversity. Trying to give the client a little bit of everything.

Anyone is more than welcome to look at the overall gallery and provide feedback

Brian_f2.8's photosets on Flickr

I would agree with lew, a lot of those could be binned. Were you shooting in burst mode?

I was lost, I have no clue what makes a good image and what doesnt.

Your client has different issues.
I assumed, since these were posted without explanation but with this text above, that you were posting to get a critical response to the pictures.

yes i was using burst mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back