Street photography publishing

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I want to publish some street photographs in a magazine I'm involved with, they're not my photographs, but i have permission from the photographer to use them. I'm just wondering about the people who appear in the photographs, obviously they are just random people, and no release's were ever signed. What is the legal situation with that?. Can anybody shed any light on this?

thanks

In the U. S., as long as the images accompany an article, that is an editorial use and model releases are not necessary. The magazines editor should sure know that.

The magazines real risk is from a later claim of infringement by the copyright owner. The magazine needs to be very sure they understand exactly what usage the copyright owner is allowing. That is usually contained in a document known as a use license.

Verbal agreements make for lots of attorney fees.

Cheers, just noticed you're in the UK. All the above is based on U. S, law.

Property and personal rights vary from country to country. Get legal advice locally. Never ask for legal advise on forums without very clearly stating you location and be very cautious with what advise is given.

yeah, forgot to mention location, figured you could read it under my name, but yes it's the UK

Most reactions

New Topics

Back