Sunset timelapse

jpenna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey peeps!

So, I'm getting a hotel room next week with an awesome view of Boston.

I want to do a timelapse of the sun setting by pushing the tripod up 1 inch every time. So it would be like a dolly shot of a timelapse.

What are the best way to get these sunsets? What time interval to use?

i dont get it, what does pushing the tripod up achieve?

I'm a tad confused.

If you are thinking of a final picture with multiple images of the sun on it, you normally keep the camera locked into position and then take an exposure every so many minutes. A nd filter will take care of the problem of overexposure. The sun moves 15 degrees per hour and subtends about a half a degree. The math for deciding on the frequency of the exposures is obvious.

yea, you dont want to move your tripod.. that will not look good.. put it where you want it, and take your pics every minute or so once the sun starts to set (yay for software that will do that for me) if you have nikon camera control pro you can set it to take the pics for you in whatever interval you want.

Oh, I should have explained what I want to do with more detail.

I'm gonna have a subject in front of a big window and I want a dolly movement as the sun sets behind him. i'm gonna have markings on the floor so I get the smoothest movement possible.

Of course it won't be perfect, but I'll smooth it out in post-production.

Technically, your not doing a dolly, you are performing a pedestal.

A dolly shot is when you move the camera on tracks or wheels either forward/backwards or side to side. A pedestal is raising or lowering the camera vertically, which is different than a tilt. Often in film/video the pedestal shots are achieved by using a Jib-boom.

Your best bet is to use animation software to see exactly how far apart each shot is. I prefer iStopMotion pro. Do some tests and read up on animation techniques.

Most reactions

Back