Super shallow Dof and bokeh just a fad?

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I realize that shallow DOF has been and always will be a crucial part of Photography but it seems as if late that it's become so prevalent that it's almost becoming underwhelming. Portraits are the worst offenders as if they don't have a super bokeh background people aren't happy. It's as if people don't shoot above f/2.8 anymore.

While I enjoy a nice creamy background as much as the next person I also think that it should be used sparingly otherwise the effect is lost.

Yes it's a fad. Or a 'contemporary style' if you prefer. Things change and will continue to do so.

Yes it's a fad. Or a 'contemporary style' if you prefer. Things change and will continue to do so.

Yep. Just wait a while, and shallow DOF will be a thing of the past.

And Selective Color will be all the rage again.

It's as if people don't shoot above f/2.8 anymore.
Fortunately, if you know what you're doing you can use an smaller lens aperture than f/2.8 and still get a nice shallow DoF.
Bokeh is not adjustable and bokeh isn't DoF.

Oh I know, but it's an example.

The bokeh is great but people are so obsessed with it.

I think it has something to do with the fact that most people don't have the ability to create that kind of effect. The average person taking pictures with their phone or their point and shoot cameras never see it in their own pictures. It's almost like they associate bokeh with "professional" pictures. Then if they get a camera that can actually create some bokeh then that's all they want to use because of the association.

To me it seems more a part of the photography maturing process that everyone goes through at some point.

I think it's a case of dslrs being sso prevalent now where previously everyone had a p&s and you couldn't get that type of result.

You ain't a modern pro until you give a client a one-eye-out-of-focus portrait

I dislike most portrait shot "wide open", especially baby pictures.
Nothing worse (to me) than a portrait where the face Is in focus and the ears and/or shoulders are not.....or a baby picture where half the baby is blurry....ugh...

People need to learn that just because you bought a lens that can shoot f1.4 doesn't mean you HAVE to shoot at f1.4!

I find I shoot most portraits at the f4 to f5.6 range.

I think Tree0fLife nailed it. You need a large(r) sensor to get thin DOF with lenses wide open, and this is NEW for people who are accustomed to what they see in P&S and cellphone cameras. So they want this effect. Of course, photographers who use it without understanding what they are doing... are fauxtographers.

And Selective Color will be all the rage again.
Yes - niece had baby shots done by friend or in-law . . . grey baby with a red Santa hat plastered all over FB. :048:

Idk. I personally love using a shallow DOF. I wouldn't consider it a fad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think, to go along with tree of life- that it's probably the "easiest" method to convey their newly found "artistic vision"

They may think something like:
"I want to separate my subject from background, because the background is distracting" so they pop into 1.8, thinking "less (focus) is more" and then start to concentrate on their other settings.

"I want to really bring those colors out!" But instead of taking the thought further, and controlling the background to MAKE and control the pop of color, one might just use selective color because it's quick, easy, and there are "so many" other things a newbie is considering while shooting.

On the ranting side of this subject, I quit posting in a certain Facebook group, because "absolutely awesome amazing artwork" there is considered sticking your subject with the sun to their back, during the golden hour, so you get beautifully flat lighting on the face, shooting the family of 5 at 1.nothing and processing it until your fingers bleed. Anything else there is just considered "meh"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back