t3i causing noise, time to upgrade. but stuck b/t 6D, 7D, 60D, 70D

Ok, so your saying the noise seems to be introduced "after you edit", which makes me wonder what software your using to edit and even more importantly what settings your using when you save the files.

using lightroom 4, taking photos in JPEG, exporting them with a watermark. simple as that. ill do editing to sharpen things up or to lighten under exposed photos a bit, will add artificial sunlight as well to make photos more dramatic. any tips would be appreciated. thanks

Well in particular I'm curious as to how the files are being saved - I don't use lightroom myself but most software when you save it to jpg will ask you to pick some settings for "quality" and "compression" - and if your seeing problems with your photos after you edit them but not before I'm just wondering if maybe these settings might not be playing a part in the issue.

Also to much cropping can make picture's look funky or destroy the IQ.

Also to much cropping can make picture's look funky or destroy the IQ.

Also interested in what is meant by "sharpen things up" - normally you can get away with one, maybe as much as two passes with a sharpen filter - after that, you get into grain city pretty quick.

Or crinkles. I have done this to often with over sharpening. We can capture the best image in the world and completely destroy it with poor processing. I have made the ocean water occasionally look like the moon with the sharpening thingy.:lmao:

Last edited:
i think processing has to do with a lot of it. 99% of the time there will be noise in night time shots that I have done and im trying every possible route to avoiding that. heres a shot im pleased with but the car on the left has noise on the roof and above. I want my photos to be smooth, not noisy...its driving me absolutely insane.
$11211655304_ab7c6dcb2b_h.jpg

I hope they don't use the same 70D sensor. They really need to create some separation between the bodies other than AF, FPS, and little differences. I have read some rumors even saying that the AF system will be the same from the 1DX and 5DIII. We shall see…

I also heard that as well. I also here ISO close to the 5D MRL III but not sure I believe that one.

Then why even buy a full frame? I doubt that will be the case. I was pretty impressed with how the 70D handles noise. A lot of people say there isn't much of a difference between the 60D and 70D as far as high ISO but having used both at high ISO the 70D is significantly better. But let people keep referring to snap sort as their source of info…fine by me. Same goes when I was researching full frame I played with the 5DIII, D800, D600, and 6D. The 6D blew the D600 out of the water at 6400 and above. The D800 and 5DIII were great but really much more than I wanted to spend. When I rented the 70D and compared shots at 3200 with it and my 6D you really couldn't tell that much of a difference…it had me considering selling my 6D and going with the 70D but then I came back down to earth.

Would you pick the 70D over the 7D? Im wondering if the main source of my problem is the fact that Ive used a stock lens for such a long time. the 5D3 has a fabulous stock lens that ive seen but it is a $900 lens. i could get a used camera for that. so 6D and 60D have been ruled out, and Im wondering if having a touch flip-out screen on the 70D is more useful than the 7D. Opinions! I need opinions!

i think processing has to do with a lot of it. 99% of the time there will be noise in night time shots that I have done and im trying every possible route to avoiding that. heres a shot im pleased with but the car on the left has noise on the roof and above. I want my photos to be smooth, not noisy...its driving me absolutely insane.
Did you read my post #26? If not you might want to do so.

I am curious on why you are ruling out the 6D especially when you are shooting static objects, cars, and complaining about noise. The 6D handles noise better than any of the choices you have mentioned thus far.

:scratch:

If you have noise on static things, like cars, I'd say the biggest likely culprit is simply not EXPOSING the images generously enough, or shooting without enough light for the exposure times and f/stops you decide to use. Underexposure makes noise look bad, and large, smooth-tonmed areas, like say, car roofs ( ;-) ] tend to show noise more than variegated, detailed subjects, like say asphalt. So, maybe the issue is more one of not actually exposing the images long enough?

I am curious on why you are ruling out the 6D especially when you are shooting static objects, cars, and complaining about noise. The 6D handles noise better than any of the choices you have mentioned thus far.

Um... I'm going to go with price on that one. Yup.. my guess would be price - lol

Um... I'm going to go with price on that one. Yup.. my guess would be price - lol

More lolz…It is a legit question especially considering the title of the thread and his 'issue' being noise. Scott and Derrel have offered very good advice which should help with his noise 'issue.'

More lolz…It is a legit question especially considering the title of the thread and his 'issue' being noise. Scott and Derrel have offered very good advice which should help with his noise 'issue.'

Well initially as I recall he had posted he'd wanted to spend no more than $1000 on a camera body and gave a list of 4 options, the 6d, 7d, 60d and 70d. I gave him a quick break down of the canon offerings available and pointed out that the 6d is running on average at around $1800 so it was out of his price range. Technically speaking the only camera he originally asked about was in his price range, the 60d - though I gave him a quick rundown in the 70d as well since it was pretty close to his limit at roughly $1100.

Well initially as I recall he had posted he'd wanted to spend no more than $1000 on a camera body and gave a list of 4 options, the 6d, 7d, 60d and 70d. I gave him a quick break down of the canon offerings available and pointed out that the 6d is running on average at around $1800 so it was out of his price range. Technically speaking the only camera he originally asked about was in his price range, the 60d - though I gave him a quick rundown in the 70d as well since it was pretty close to his limit at roughly $1100.

Yes I recall the same from the first page. I have seen the 6D used for 14-1500ish. Anyway, 70D or bust!

Yes I recall the same from the first page. I have seen the 6D used for 14-1500ish. Anyway, 70D or bust!

I bought my own camera used, I don't have a problem with it - but some folks really prefer new and/or refurbished. Can't blame them really, but as a result normally when I quote prices that's what I quote - that and because used can fluctuate so much so quickly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back